Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

My hunting log

buckstar25

T-county
Been out 3 times, have seen does every time out. Buddy shot a BB that seriously couldn't have been 30 lbs but its his tag I didn't say much besides the usual ribbing one takes after the deer has been found.

Fast forward a bit to last night......
I wanted to be out of the house by 4 a.m. Forgot my kids had softball practice, guitar/piano, etc. so I decided to stay home and help out. Wanted to be out of the house at 1 p.m. Left at 2...see where this is going?

Get to our property and meet a truck with some guys we know, dad shoots the shit for a little longer than is needed. Quick cam check reveals nothing, head to stand at 3:20. In my disgust I pick an Aspen a little further than I wanted from my spot. Knowing full well Aspens and climbers don't mix! Every 5 feet I climb I slide back 3 feet. I get to the height I settled on and thankfully I was wearing my harness because when I went to pull the straps on my LW the whole stand kicked lose and away I went! All I had to do was sit on the bar to stop but scary second to say the least! I climb back down and move over to the tree I wanted to be in. Get situated and calmed down around 4:30, thinking these are the days that always turn out great so tried to relax and enjoy the few hours I had. Wind was swirling so my hopes were deflated again, "screw it" I thought I'm already here I will test out that shampoo and detergent I just bought.

A few pics from my stand....

Small ravine with spring fed creek below
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350224797.340556.jpg

To the east
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350224919.173565.jpg

North
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350224975.571814.jpg

At 4:30 a group of 3 does came from the thicket to the east, down to the water and hung up eating the acorns on te side of the ravine. Directly downwind of me for an hour! The lead doe finally walks back the trail that comes out directly in front of my stand. She gets to within 10yds and she winds me. Doesn't bolt but rather cautiously feeds the remaining 10 yards out to my north! Perfectly broadside shot without a limb in sight. I let her walk....

I sat there after wandering I I should have shot. In the end, the deer have taken a pounding in our part of the county and especially the surrounding properties. I set out this year to try and hold a group of does close to our property and have done that so far. I guess it's all part of being more of a manager than a hunter in this particular case. I ended seeing a yote, 3 does, a small buck and one Gi-Hugic fox squirrel. Hopefully our numbers come back some in the next couple years and the decision when to shoot will be more likely than if I should shoot!

Sorry for the long read....gotta catch up with the regulars!

buckstar25

T-county
Already heard it from my buddy, "take video widescreen", but it works I guess...

Check out this video on YouTube:<br/><br/>http://youtu.be/px0w4JxVkt8

I was messin with this buck trying to see if he would respond to the rattle bag and grunt tube because he came in all fired up. He was about 50-70yds away walking straight away. As soon a he heard the rattling he did a 180 and came back down the field edge. The grunt you hear in the video is the second time I blew it because he was gonna walk away. He turned and came on a rope to 10yds. My favorite 2 weeks to hunt started on the 16th, for me always great time to be in the woods!

Forgot to add he was directly downwind of me also....good thing I showered!

Last edited:

buckstar25

T-county
Headin out tomorrow a.m. Finally got 2 days in a row off, sucks for the paycheck but I've been workin OT for too long! Plus my wife made sure I was going.....man I love that woman!!

buckstar25

T-county
Wish the wind would have been a little bit worse!

Didn't even bother goin out with this front pushing in. Gonna try some corn and cam on my other property, limited on where I can put it because lots of thieves runnin around....

buckstar25

T-county
Well, I was lookin for a thread I started about letting a certain 6 point walk. After failing, I found this one that I forgot about so I will update it instead.

I decided a while ago to see where this buck would end up, if he was as smart as he seemed he had the potential to be a cool looking deer. Some said they would take him as a 6, while I thought about it, he seemed to have a little something about him that made me want to see how big he could get. I always said, we'll see what he turns into next year and every year he stayed away from us, the neighbors, cars, etc. He is now a 4.5 year old and until today was a no show. needless to say there was a touch of excitement when I flipped through the pictures, 4 hours earlier he was in front of it. He isn't a "booner", "slob", or whatever you wanna call it but man did he ever get big....really big! And this year I am hoping our paths cross.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Headin out tomorrow a.m. Finally got 2 days in a row off, sucks for the paycheck but I've been workin OT for too long! Plus my wife made sure I was going.....man I love that woman!!

I hear ya! I got a 3 day weekend and we are only working 40 hours next week!