Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Going traditional

Gordo

Athens County
Well it looks like my two hoyt vectrixes are sold so I'm going to have some extra cash, and what else to do with it than buy some new hunting gear.

Looking to get either a recurve or long bow and giving traditional a shot.

Good old Milo said he's on board for helping a brother out so I'll be annoying the shit out of him, but figured I'd start a thread to pick everyones brain.

I'm not expecting this to be easy by any means, and know it's going to be a great challenge.

Any knowledge will be helpful. Just let her rip dudes.

My first question is long bow or recurve? Where to look? Poundage? Same draw length as compound? Etc. Etc. Etc.

I'm obviously looking to use it for deer hunting so keep that in mind.

Thanks

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The reflex/deflex longbows are very similar to shooting a recurve. They have the good qualities of both and have become pretty darn popular over the last ten years or so. I shoot recurves and reflex/deflex longbows, and can shoot them both really well...on certain days. Some days I can't hit a barn. They are fun to shoot, and a very few people can do it well enough to be effective hunters with them. Most (at least of the several hundred folks I've seen shoot) have no business shooting them at living animals. It takes a lot of work to be a good traditional shooter, and even with all the dedication in the world, you may still not be good enough. I find myself in that category. :) Still, it is the only aspect of archery that still owns my soul. I shoot them for countless hours all year long because I enjoy shooting them so much more than a compound. Good luck, I'm sure you will enjoy it to the fullest, and Milo will get you started down the right path!

Gordo

Athens County
I tend to b compulsive with anything I do. I'll put the work in. If I can never feel confident enough to make a clean kill I'll never hunt with it.

With price, like anything else I'm sure there's a point of diminishing returns. I really just want a longbow or recurve that will be solid and get the job done. What kind of prices are we talkin and what does more money get ya?

Should I b looking into recurvez or longbows? Is it all a preference thing?

Milo

Tatonka guide.
its all about grip..and what you like...lemgth is a consideration also. longbows can be somewhat picky but ive had no problem in fact i prefer them. gordo, i may send a couple with beener next weekend for you to shoot and try out and see what one you may or may not like better.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I tend to b compulsive with anything I do. I'll put the work in. If I can never feel confident enough to make a clean kill I'll never hunt with it.

With price, like anything else I'm sure there's a point of diminishing returns. I really just want a longbow or recurve that will be solid and get the job done. What kind of prices are we talkin and what does more money get ya?

Should I b looking into recurvez or longbows? Is it all a preference thing?

That is exactly what it takes, you have to let yourself become consumed with the thing! Sounds to me like you have the right mindset to develop the skill!

I think it is all personal preference, whatever you like. You'll find it makes little difference what bow is in your hand. They all flip arrows and the cast of the arrow is what you really need to learn. It will vary a little from bow to bow due to each bow's performance, but once you learn to direct an arrow it won't matter much what bow you direct the arrow with. If I have room in the truck, I'll bring down a couple for you to try out this weekend too. And BTW, I wouldn't even look at high-dollar customs at this point. Damon Howatt bows are top shelf recurves and can be had CHEAP. I've had Assenhiemers, Zippers, Fedoras, and a Black Widow...all really good bows and very expensive. I can't say that any of them shot noticeably better than cheap Damon Howatts, or Martin bows. I don't think you can go wrong with anything made by Martin to start, in fact they are all I shoot these days. Oh, and buy USED! As long as the bow's laminations aren't coming apart and the limbs aren't terribly warped, they are as good as new.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
There are only a few like tradgang and stickbow.com....i found getting together and shioting with a mentor most helpful

COB-TY

Retired to the happy hunting grounds above.
Ohio
Shooting stick and string can be a great experience. I'd it for a long time. When you start out DO NOT over bow yourself. There is no let off in stick and string. LOL Practice practice practice. Join OSTA and go to their shoot and meet some great folks more than willing and able to help in your endeavor. Above all do not get discourage in the beginning and have fun at it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BTW OSTA's site is dedicated to only stick and string! www.tradarchers.org

Last edited:
Gordo,
The Trad Gang website will be of great assistance to you.
http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

Traditional bows are like combat handguns or shotguns...they have to fit and feel good to YOU or you will not shoot them well. Having said that, you will need to physically put your hands on and shoot as many bows as you can, before making the purchase, to have the one that's right for you. One way to do that is by going to some traditional bow shops and expos. To do that you will need to do some traveling. Some distant, some close, but after some research you'll find more and more places to try this or that brand.

An expensive place to start would be 3 Rivers Archery, in Ashley, Indiana. They have everything you need and an indoor range to try them out.
http://www.3riversarchery.com/

There's a tradtional expo in Kalamazoo, Michigan, in January 25th - 27th. It's a great place to meet some traditional bow shooters, bowyers, arrow builders, etc., etc. Plus, there's an indoor range where you can try out their stuff...again, before you make the purchase.
http://gnbco.com/expo_kalamazoo.php

As for poundage, draw length and bow length...well, generally your draw length will shorten by an inch. I do NOT recommend getting carried away with too much poundage or it will create bad shooting habits...then your accuracy will suffer and from there you'll just take a huge dislike for traditional anything. 45 lbs. to 55 lbs. will kill anything in Ohio or the surrounding states. Like everything else, shot placement is everything. :smiley_bril:

Bow length will depend on your height...to some degree. However, longer bows are smoother drawing and have less string pinch.

Then you get into the recurve or longbow choices. :smiley_chinrub: For MOST people, not ALL people, recurves are easier to learn to shoot and lend themself to pointing where you're looking, than longbows. (eye/hand coordination comes into play here) If you're good at shooting pool, trap, sporting clays, darts, you will have a leg up on the situation.

Read a few books by Fred G. Asbell, Byron Ferguson and as many other authors as you like. This will help give you an idea what you're in for and whether or not you'll want to continue your pursuit.

Hope this helps.
Bowhunter57

Last edited:

Gordo

Athens County
Thanks for the info so far.

Ive been reading a decent amount of info.

I'm wondering at what poundage i should be looking to start with.

I fear over bowing myself and developing bad habits that could make things alot tougher in the long run.

Should i be looking as low as a 25lber to start with?

Gordo

Athens County
Am I understanding right that every bows poundage is based on 28' draw length? And then it's a couple lbs + or - depending on your specific draw length?

That make sense?