Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Is this Jagger?

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I have my thoughts, but I'll see what you guys think...

Last year one of the bucks on my hit list was Jagger. This year, I haven't gotten him on camera yet, but this guy looks very similar. The first pic is Jagger. The second is from a camera this year in a very close location to Jagger's stomping ground last season. I snagged the card on the way out of the stand and saw this new buck on there. He's not on my hit list yet because I think he has some growing to do. Check out the hint of a droptine on the right main beam.

Give me some thoughts? Is it Jagger? If it is not, is this buck on the upswing?

010.jpg036.jpg

Last edited:

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Wow! I see a lot of similarities in those two bucks. I would say that it's the same deer. Mainly the way the main beams curve the same. Spread is close to the same, as well as his tine length. This deer is a mature deer IMO.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Looking on my phone so the picture isn't the biggest. I am with Ron though. The angle the brow tines come out and width on them os also very close.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I agree as well. Looks like the same deer to me, and if it is I'd kill it dead. He didn't improve any over last year. Some of them just don't have the genes to "blow out". A very nice buck!

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
OK, one more opinion needed. Is this a mature deer that is no longer going to grow then? One that, if my son doesn't get I should burn a tag on in January because his best days are behind him? I'm definitely not shooting him now. There are better bucks out there. But, if given the chance late in the season is he one to take out?
Here are some more pics for body reference:

PICT0033.jpgPICT0034.jpgPICT0035.jpgPICT0036.jpgPICT0037.jpgPICT0038.jpgPICT0039.jpgPICT0040.jpg

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
He's had the same essentially the same rack for two years, I don't think he's gonna grow more antler regardless of how long he lives. Sean had one on his place for three or four years with the same 145" rack. That thing never grew an inch. There are a lot of them like that. If you don't like the looks of him don't shoot him. I think he's a nice looking buck, and I would kill him dead. Then again, admittedly, I'm not as picky as some of you guys. :)

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
IMO, he's mature enough Mike. Prolly 4.5 but its not an exact science estimating age unless you have pics or visual proof over the coarse of a certain bucks life like sheds and TC pics. I agree to let the boys or ole scout take him down if given the chance but during late season, I'd be happy with him on the ground with my own tag. Like Brock said, if he had the genes to blow up he'd have done it this year. Just my .02.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am done guessing on age and antler size anymore. I need more practice. lol

What Ric ad Brock said makes good sense from what I have read. Only variable not taken into consideration is the drought summer. Had we seen another wet spring/summer, would we have seen this deer put on more? You just never know.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'd say it's probably the same buck. Looks like he's lost about 10" or so compared to last season, though. I'd be surprised if he didn't continue to go downhill next year too. He's mature... kill him dead.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I'm Sorry, but even with all the similarities, I don't think it is the same buck. Maybe one of Dagger's Son's, but a different deer. The face just looks younger than Dagger to me.... I could be wrong, but that is just my opinion.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I'm Sorry, but even with all the similarities, I don't think it is the same buck. Maybe one of Dagger's Son's, but a different deer. The face just looks younger than Dagger to me.... I could be wrong, but that is just my opinion. Hope you get some more pic's of him so we can see different angles. Still a nice buck regardless!