Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Frank's first bow kill

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Well I got my first bow kill tonight at 5:30PM. It was a largest doe I ever got in 40 yrs at 132 lbs field dressed. I got my 1st Ohio deer in 1972 when I lived in Willard, OH and it was a nice buck. The Willard newspaper heard about it and ran a story. I have to look the clipping up but I believe less that 6000 deer taken in Ohio then. OH how times have changed. The best part of that 1st Ohio buck is one of my friends went out to the kill site and picked up my empty shotgun shell and made me a plauge out of it. It reads "The end of one candyass bowhunter". I was bowhunting at that time and took the buck the 1st day of gun season. Maybe rod is a member here if so chime in. great memories.
It was a trip from hell getting it back to the house. I hunted in my woods on the back of my farm for the 1st time this year. I have a hunting tower in the woods. I took my smoker with me and use some bark from a hickory tree and smoked everthing in the tower including me. I had to cleanup a dead small coon that got caught in my window camo netting and coon droppings everywhere..
At 5:15PM 2 fawns came in the woods. The doe must have been in front and I missed her coming in. The fawns spooked out for some reason and ran past me and then calmed down and just messed around. The doe started to circle around trying to get to the fawns and I shot broadside her at 25 yrds. She ran through the brush and across a shooting lane unto the neighbors where she came from.
I waited till 7:00 and as I was getting down couple small deer and a large bodied deer cross the shooting lane at 80 yrds. Didn't see the head of the large deer but it's body was huge in size.
I went to the shot site and found my arrow in 2 pieces and couple drops of blood. Boy she didn't bleed much only a drop here and there. I found where she crossed into the neighbors from blood wiped on the brush then nothing. Not one drop of blood. I went down the hill about 50 yrds and found her after tripping through the honeysuckle for 30 minutes. She went about 150 yrs from the shot location.
I called my nephew to please bring the tractor up to the woods. Can't, my son used the tractor last night and did a flat tire on the frontend. Now if they would have told me the tractor tire was flat I wouldn't went back there hunting. I went back up to my gear to fielddress and now I can't find the damn deer back. It is so thick down there in that damn honeysuckle. My nephew gets there and we look for 15 minutes and he wants to know if the deer was dead the last time I saw it. We did find it and I fielddressed it out. My glasses fall off into the body cavity in 3 inches of blood.
Thank goodness I bought that golf cart last night and we use that to drag the deer to the barn to hand it up.
This will be a deer to remember because of the story behing it. Enjoy your laugh as I am a sore as hell right now and I have to do the Sharonville gunshow tommorrow if I can get out of bed.
But hey Frank got his first bow deer.
Pictures tommorrow.
Frank

Last edited:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sincere congratulations to you, Frank! That is an awesome story, and I'm glad you got your first one with your bow!!!! Thanks for sharing that story, it was great!

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Now if they would have told me the tractor tire was flat I wouldn't went back there hunting.
rotflmao

Congrats Frank!! That was great story. Look forward to seeing the pics. Now clean your glasses and get some rest. Have fun at the Gun Show.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
So happy for you Frank..... that's a great story and a great way too get it done..... all your hard work paid off..... enjoy your weekend....

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
that first one is a rush isn't it? I am hoping the rest of these crops come off before I get one this year, so I can drive the jeep part way to it, had quite a drag last year. It will wear you out for sure.

congrats