Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What do you do for a living?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Was just talking too Phil and learned something about a member I did not know, so I figured I'd start a thread with the intent of finding out what we all do for a living. Not sure if that one has been started here or not. Didn't see anything so I figured I throw it out there. So what do you do for your livelyhood?

Myself, I'm an Air Reserve Technician. Actually a supervisor of my shop. I work for the Air Force Reserve as both a civilian employee and an Air Force Reservist. I have too maintain both status. So during the week I'm a civilian employee and on the weekends and whenever they need me I'm a reservist as well. My job description is basically the same no matter the staus I'm in. I run the shop and manage the folks that take care of the assigned C-130's too make sure they are in top operating condition..... Been doing it for going on 33 years as we speak and have about 2.5 years too go untill I retire....

SO with thabeing said who's next?????

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
I do a bit of everything! I'm self employed. Technically, I am a Home Health Aide and a licensed provider for the State for handicapped people. (I do this part time)

I also breed dogs, work with dermestid beetles for some local taxidermists and build, run and maintain 6 websites.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I am in my 14th year as a teacher. I currently teach 8th grade Science and US History. I will also be entering my 13th season as the head varsity baseball coach. I coached football for my first 6 years as a teacher as well, but after my third kid was born I decided to hang that up. It also interfered too much with my bow hunting!

I'm on schedule to graduate in May with a masters degree in Guidance Counseling and hope to land a spot as a counselor in the near future.

I also DJ a little on the side for some extra cash:beavis:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I am "retired" as I will likely ever be. I drove a truck for 18 years. It was my plan to do it just long enough to put away enough cash to open up our first pizza shop - I do NOTHING on credit. It took me longer than I planned, but we opened our first shop 5 1/2 years ago. I quit driving a truck two years ago and just do the pizza thing now. I no longer have a desire to have more pizza shops, one is enough for now. Anymore will cut into my "retirement". :) I can't figure out why I should work more when I can fish... That may change in the next few years, but I like it as is for now!

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I am "retired" as I will likely ever be. I drove a truck for 18 years. It was my plan to do it just long enough to put away enough cash to open up our first pizza shop - I do NOTHING on credit. It took me longer than I planned, but we opened our first shop 5 1/2 years ago. I quit driving a truck two years ago and just do the pizza thing now. I no longer have a desire to have more pizza shops, one is enough for now. Anymore will cut into my "retirement". :) I can't figure out why I should work more when I can fish... That may change in the next few years, but I like it as is for now!

You better bring some samples of this famous pizza to Strouds!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I would be glad to, but honestly don't know how we'd bake it or even warm it up properly. I don't think it's fair to eat it cold. :)

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Maybe I'll bring down some strombolis or something. They are pretty good even when cold.

buckbuster217

*Supporting Member*
Byesville, Ohio
I am a machinist / CNC operator for Detroit Diesel Remanufacturing East in Cambridge, I operate several different machines dealing with large diesel heads, whether it be milling the fire deck, cambore, etc.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Currently a cable,phone, and internet install tech for a well known company. Gets me outdoors and get to meet a lot of people and chat with them as I work. I get to climb and carry around an 80lb. ladder all day long so that gets me 20'+ just like in a treestand lol. Have to admit though, being 20'+ over concrete is not fun when your attached to a hardline and slid down the wire a few feet lol. Overall it's pretty cool with some nice added bonuses tossed in there.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Maybe I'll bring down some strombolis or something. They are pretty good even when cold.

I'll have tin foil and a big grill to sit over the fire. We can make it work!!!

I am an Operational Landman for a medium sized independent oil and gas operator. I buy pipeline, road, and electric line right of ways, settles damages, and act as a liaison between the landowners in the field, and the powers that be in our office. I'm essentially an in-field PR person.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
I am in supply chain/logistics. I have responsibility for network optimization and execution for a $5B global manufacture. In short, I build/optimize and ensure efficient daily operations of transportation networks. Answering questions such as:

Where should product be manufactured?
Where should it be warehoused/distributed from?
What is the most cost effective way to get from manufactured to warehoused to customer?

Buckmaster

Portage
I am in supply chain/logistics.

Me too. My company is a fastener distributor. We buy from manufacturers and sell to end use consumers specifically in the construction, industrial, and commerical markets. I'm responsible for inside and outside sales along with collections from dead beat customers from time to time. I also have minority ownership and thus I'm considered self employed.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
I work for a small engineering+architectur+management firm...I work in the Process Mechanical department as a Mechanical Designer and I work onsite at our clients refinery 5 days a week...I sit in a trailer and walk the pipe alleys occassionally...I consult with the client about what options we can provide for the scope of work they want completed...Use AutoCAD a lot, but our design packages are all done with the old paper and pencil!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Work? What's that?

I just hang out on TOO all day long until its time to go home.

Sweet! Didn't know we had the same job. That is pretty cool.

I think I am somewhere in between you Huntn2 and Brock (minus the pizzas).

:smiley_crocodile::smiley_crocodile::smiley_crocodile:

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I am a pipefitter. My job is to install any and all process piping systems. The project I am currently on is the Xenia city schools. We are installing the HVAC system, Boilers, Chillers, Air handlers, Pumps, .. I have been involved with a lot of larger scale industrial work as well, Everything from High pressure steam, Liquid nitrogen turbines, High pressure compressed air for manufacturing facilities... If its pipe, I put it together. I did a little plumbing when I started but ended up going more into the direction of Mechanical piping. I spent several years as a pipe welder, but my eyes aren't what they used to be. I now find myself in more of a foreman, crew leader role. Which is O.K. with me, let the younger guys do the heavy stuff.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
Electrical Designer (basically an engineer without a degree or the pay that comes with that toilet paper) at a major Utility company. I design substations. Good job, great benefits, good atmosphere, cant complain at all really

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
I work for Americas Styrenics as a Chemical Operator. I've been there for going on 24 years. I work 12hr rotating shift and I don't think I would like straight days.