Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What's your favorite rimfire ammo?

I've been using Remington Golden Bullet (HP) ammo with good accuracy and good killing effects on small game. However, my last purchase of this brand/type of ammo has left me wondering about quality control issues. Most of the ammo fired has had a solid "crack" sound, but 2 out of 15 will have a sick "pop" sound to them.

When I'm hunting I expect consistant, quality and performance. I have since switched to Remington Subsonic ammo and have no complaints with accuracy and consistant killing performance. :smiley_bril:

What is your preference in rimfire ammo?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

Huckleberry Finn

Subsonic is good.

I like Federals - the heavier bullets are good, the hollows are good, and even the bulk shoots good.

Never Remington Thunderheads. Nor Winchester. Remington used to make (may still, but I bought a life time supply of Federals) Viper and that was good hp

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
CCI velociters. Accurate, dependable, good knock down. The mini mags shoot well too, but I've had groundhogs get up and run after getting hit with them. CCI also makes a hypersonic round called a stinger, I don't care for them. I would geuss they shoot well out of certain guns but there is no consistancy out of my 597.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
CCI - The Standard to which all other .22 ammunition is compared. I use mostly there blue box, standard velocity since it is so consistent. But they have such a wide variety of great ammo they are hard to beat.

Eley - Great stuff. I don't keep much of it but is my go to when I wanna show off what the gun can do.

CCI - The Standard to which all other .22 ammunition is compared. I use mostly there blue box, standard velocity since it is so consistent. But they have such a wide variety of great ammo they are hard to beat.

Eley - Great stuff. I don't keep much of it but is my go to when I wanna show off what the gun can do.

pretty much were i stand. Its hard to beat the CCI on cost and quility.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I bought and shot a whole bunch of different ammo through my 10/22 to see what it liked the best. The Blazer bulk pack is the best above, minimags and others. Now if I put out the money for standard velocity or target (eley, etc) then its better but for hunting its just blazer bulk for me.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
My 10/22 likes the Golden Bullet Hollow point best. Best group.
No jams.
But I have seen just a few "pops" in each box (not the solid "crack") but nothing near the amount you're experiencing. Maybe 1 in a hundred for me.
And for bulk ammo, I don't think that's bad.

Hedge, love that avatar man!

There certainly seems to be a lot of positive comments on CCI, so I looked up their website and to my surprise they still make the SGB (Small Game Bullet). It's basically a semi-wadcutter, but it's really accurate and puts the smack down on tree rats, rabbits and groundhogs.

I went to a local gun shop and purchased some ammo. :smiley_bril:

CCI - Small Game Bullet SGB (1235 fps / 40gr. Lead Flat Nose)
CCI - Segmented HP Subsonic (1050 fps / 40gr. HP)
Remington Cyclone HP (1280 fps / 36gr. HP)
American Eagle (38gr. copper-plated HP) No fps mentioned on the box. EDIT: Found it on their website...1260 fps.
Winchester Super X (1330 fps / 37gr. plated HP)

Tomorrow morning, my brother and I are going to the range to see which flavor of ammo our rifles prefer. :smiley_blink: The tightest group will get to ride in my rifle's clip and I'm kinda hoping it's the SGBs.
He has an older Marlin bolt-action that's clip fed and I have a newer Savage 93 bolt-action that's clip fed.

Bowhunter57

Last edited:
The weather conditions shut us down before we could shoot all of the different brands of ammo that we had with us. Just the same, we found out that my brother's Marlin didn't like Remington Subsonics. It shoots the Winchester Super X 1330 fps and Federal Game Shock 38gr. copper plated HP at 1260 fps, very well...inside a dime at 35 yards.

My Savage likes the CCI SGB ammo...well enough to put them inside one ragged hole, at 35 yards.

After a short range time, we went squirrel hunting and knocked down a grey and a fox squirrel. One shot, one kill per tree rat. :smiley_bril:
Hopefully, we can get back out to the range later and see what the rest of the ammo will do.

Bowhunter57

I have found that different guns prefer different ammunition also. CCI Green Tag shoots the best for me. Remington Target is a very close to Green Tag. Remington Target is a lot cheaper. Worst thing that I have tried are the CCI Stingers. Not saying anything bad about the Stingers. Stingers have been around for a long time for a good reason. It just seems my rifle doesn't like them.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Was happy with the Federal value pack 550/ box:36 grain, copper plated HP-1260 @ muzzle and 1000 at 100 yards

Now I have tried a box of CCI stingers- 32 grain and 1,640 at the muzzle. (Damn things tightened my group down nearly 3/4 of an inch at 50 yards in my 10/22... problem is the fuggers are around $6.50 /box 50...)

My old Marlin 39A loves everything.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I shoot a lot of standard velocity .22 ammo. It clean and quiet, usually pretty accurate. Great for squirrels. For groundhogs Winchester wildcats or CCI stingers.