Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2011 Arctic Cat 550

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Does anyone know anything about the 2012 Arctic Cat 550 quad?
I found a good deal on one and was thinking about selling my Brute Force to get it. I've had some overheating issues with the Brute Force and I'm kind of sick of dealing with it.
This is exactly what the quad looks like:
2011_arctic_cat_trv_550_gt_21974209.jpg

Last edited:

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I personally know nothing about it. I just remember that when I was seeking advice about buying my 4wheeler everyone said to stay away from Arctic Cat.
Can't remember why they said that, but it's a thread on here somewhere.

My grandma had a refrigerator back in the 70's in that color.

Sorry to hear about your overheating problem. Again, I personally know nothing, but could the problem be something as simple as replacing the thermostat with one set for a lower temp?

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I personally know nothing about it. I just remember that when I was seeking advice about buying my 4wheeler everyone said to stay away from Arctic Cat.
Can't remember why they said that, but it's a thread on here somewhere.

My grandma had a refrigerator back in the 70's in that color.

Sorry to hear about your overheating problem. Again, I personally know nothing, but could the problem be something as simple as replacing the thermostat with one set for a lower temp?

It could be... I need to take it in for a check up. I just happened to come across a good deal on a younger bike and started thinking about it. Plus, that extra seat makes it legal to take the wife on trails like Hatfield and McCoy or something of that nature where passengers are normally not allowed.

More than likely I will stick with what I got. Just feeling the situation out.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I would never buy an Arctic Cat, but that is just me. For one thing, they are belt driven and most of the ones I have been on trail rides with have had to stop because of wet belts. That is a major weakness in my opinion and one you should not have to deal with on a quad. I've been around quads and ridden with enough to know that it is Honda or Yamaha for me...

Diablo54

Outside
Arctic cat is shit. We have a 2007 or so. Starter went bad maneuverability is shit. 4wd went out. All kinds of problems.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I would never buy an Arctic Cat, but that is just me. For one thing, they are belt driven and most of the ones I have been on trail rides with have had to stop because of wet belts. That is a major weakness in my opinion and one you should not have to deal with on a quad. I've been around quads and ridden with enough to know that it is Honda or Yamaha for me...

Yeah, I've had that issue with the Brute Force as well. Got a wet belt going through a creek this summer and had to let it sit there an idle while I drank a beer. That's the only good thing that came out of it.

My old King Quad never had a wet belt issue, but I did have other belt issues.

Another issue is the fact that there aren't very many Cat dealers around me.

thanks for the input guys.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
If you were wanting a snow mobile, then sure, I would second and Arctic Cat. But do yourself a favor and look in to a Grizzly or a Foreman/Rubicon if you want a new quad. Really hard to go wrong there...

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Seriously though, since I'm not an owner, I know a couple buddies with Polaris that seem to have them in the shop a lot (they do get rode really hard). I also know a buddy with a 660 Grizzly that I haven't heard him complain once about. Outside of that, not much help here!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Yes, Polaris and Arctic Cat are two brands of quads I have never seen anything but bad from. I'm sure there are models out there that have been great quads, but by and large, they are far behind the pack these days...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I wont buy a Polaris or Arctic Cat unless it is dirtball cheap and I planned on re-selling it as soon as I got home. Sorry Mike. It is a sweet looking ride but I am with Jesse on this one: Honda or Yamaha.