Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Camss during season

at1010

*Supporting Member*
How do you all go about checking cams during the season?

I normally check them the last day at my place so if I jump deer it will be atleast 4 days before I get back there again.

What do you all do?

some of my cams are easy as heck to get too, but one is deep in my property, and takes a bit to get to it.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
I have only checked 1 of the 3 I have out since season has started, and that's only because it's 5 yards from my stand. I really need to check the other 2 though.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I have only checked 1 of the 3 I have out since season has started, and that's only because it's 5 yards from my stand. I really need to check the other 2 though.

Part of me thinks that if I hunt and sneak around to that one cams thats hard to get to in the dark, it wont bug the deer to much.

Keep sent free as possible, and grab the card, get out.

Like I said this is on my place so the deer are used to me driving around with my polaris to fill feeders,change batteries, etc.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have only checked cameras I have to walk past to hunt. I did check one a couple times which I drive up to, swap the card, and keep rolling but there is a lot of vehicle traffic around this field. I don't think the truck is going to bother them much. I stay in the truck and spray it down after hanging it again. Only reason I checked it today is because I was driving back to load up a doe.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I keep my cams in all easy locations to get to, but this week I need to fill feeders, change batteries, etc.

I am worried I am going to spook the deer heavy, never has in the past, but It is just because I got that big buck on cam now.

I am starting to overthink things I think.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
My cams are all in places I can either easily check on the way to and from a stand, or by riding my four wheeler to them. I'm done using my cams to scout places of "concern" once the season rolls around and stick to running them over food sources, scrapes, and easy to access trails. I did hang one this weekend on the edge of a bedding area, but I did it at midday and don't plan to check it until a rain around Halloween. Other than that, I leave them in easy to access areas and check them every 7-10-14 days depending on when we get rain and when I am hunting.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I'll swap cards as I'm heading in for a sit. I'm there, scent free, anyway. Might as well have something to look at while I'm waiting for something to step out.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I keep my cams in all easy locations to get to, but this week I need to fill feeders, change batteries, etc.

I am worried I am going to spook the deer heavy, never has in the past, but It is just because I got that big buck on cam now.

I am starting to overthink things I think.

I am not trying to be a smart ass here, but maybe you shouldn't check them if you are concerned? You got a big boy on camera. You know there are other good bucks in the area. Is there a dire need to check them? Wait 2 weeks and hunt as often as you can for 2-3 weeks. I have a feeling we will have our greatest chances of getting the big boys on their feet during daylight in this time frame anyway.

For what it is worth, I did check two today. One was on my way out from hunting since I was walking past it anyway. The other is a camera I check once a month. I got some new ITP tires on the quad and wanted to see how they did. I leave this camera up just as inventory and don't think I even hunted it last year. I think I checked it mainly as an excuse to see if there were any rubs/scrapes, trespassers, and because they took the corn off behind it. It was rejuvenating just to get on the quad and hit the woods to clear my mind for 20 minutes. If not for that, I wouldn't have worried about it. Oh, and the tires were impressive. lmao

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
I only check the cameras that I can get in and out or drive right TOO when I go to my lease. I have some that are in places I dont want to check often that have been sitting for months. One is right in a bedding area in the thickest nastiest stuff on the only trail on a steep hill. I am looking forward to seeing what bruisers I have on it.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
thanks for all the input guys.

I have to fill some feeders anyways so I am going to just fill them, check cams, and maybe even hang a new set.

I will then not screw with anything for several weeks.

I am going to do all of this after I am done hunting for the weekend.