Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

How many unsuccessful hunts...

How many skunks until you pull a stand?

• 2-4 times

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • After 4 skunks, I'd move it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Huckleberry Finn

...until you pull a stand and move it somewhere else?

I'm pretty bummed about the location of the ladder stand I put up - I've seen deer down at the southern edge of the field walking out, but none from the stand. I already have a set of sticks (unhunted so far) 100 yards further north.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Depends...

If I think it can be a good rut or gun stand I will leave it. If not, it gets pulled and put somewhere it can sit for a couple weeks and not hunted.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Steve, most of my stands are along good travel routes or pinch points so I basically leave them there even when things are slow. The main or only reason I'd move one would be if I were busted several times out of it or I find a more awesome setup that trumps it. We're not even in the thick of the pre-rut yet. Another couple weeks the perverbial switch will be flipped. I'd just be patient for now IMO.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Depends...

If I think it can be a good rut or gun stand I will leave it. If not, it gets pulled and put somewhere it can sit for a couple weeks and not hunted.

Steve, most of my stands are along good travel routes or pinch points so I basically leave them there even when things are slow. The main or only reason I'd move one would be if I were busted several times out of it or I find a more awesome setup that trumps it. We're not even in the thick of the pre-rut yet. Another couple weeks the perverbial switch will be flipped. I'd just be patient for now IMO.

My view on this is pretty much just like Ric and Beener's...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

I definitely agree here. I have been skunked once and saw only one deer way in the distance on a second hunt at a stand I hung this year. However, I believe in this stand. It is a great travel route. I think if it weren't for the dipstick trespassing from the west every weekend it would be giving me better results. As it is, it has been crappy. I am willing to hang my sticks and Millenium or carry in a climber though if I need to move.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I agree with everyone here~~Leave it for now. This is something WE ALL need to keep in mind. It's early yet. We all got each other pumped with season coming in, the harvest contest, and the general competition. Do not get frustrated as from what I've seen, the deer are not moving very good just yet. Soon as temps drop some, they will be moving much better.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Use cameras to determine whether or not to move it and where to.

I am with you in trying to think of how to change things up. I have 5 hunts under my belt this year in 3 stands and am yet to see a deer.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I won't pull them because I don't want the extra in-season disturbance unless I absolutely have to. Once a stand is hung, it stays there until the season is over. If I need to make moves, I'll do it with the mobile set up...

epe

Lancaster
I have one stand location that if you hunted it anytime other than pre- rut, rut time, you would swear there wasn't any deer around besides a couple does.. Saw 14 different bucks from it in 5 mornings in November.. I guess it is all about when you plan on using it....