Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Flashlights... Red lens or white???

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Phil's headlamp suggestion in the 'Gift Card Dilemna' thread got me thinking a little bit. I know a lot of guys use headlamps, myself included, and some use flashlights while walking in or out of the woods. How many use a red lens? Do you think it really helps?

I'm asking because I've had poor results with the red lens. I seem to spook just as many deer with the red lens as I do with the regular white LED light. And to top it off, I can't see worth a damn while using the red lens. What are your guys' thoughts on this subject?

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
My headlamp has a red lens setting and 3 led settings. Each have there place but tonight i used the red lens with 2 bucks within 60 yards and both watched me climb down and never spooked.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Jim- I am not sure it is the white or red lens scaring the deer. I think if you bump them it wouldn't matter what color you have.

Here is why I like the red lens: Focusing your eyes. It seems like my eyes adjust better if I don't have the white lens on. I think if I bump some deer, I am going to bump them regardless the lens. Many times I fold my light down on the bill of my cap and really have minimal red light to assist me. When I am in someplace where I need more light I will flip the light up. I try my best to get in/out without a light whenever possible.

I have only used white..I use a Cheap Coleman 3 LED headlamp,33 lumens on high and 13 lumens on low(alway on low)...I have always wondered about the colors though...My mom gave me a Gerber blood tracker headlamp as a gift,but it ain't got much use:smiley_depressive:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Well, once again I have an opinion I don't expect to be shared by many. :) I use nothing but the standard old white light-flashlight. Here's why; I used to try sneaking into and out of stands with no light. I mistakenly thought it would be more stealthy. For the last 15+ years I have hunted almost exclusively in agricultural areas. No matter what direction I take I am going to cross a field that is likely to have deer in it. After bumping deer without being able to see the dang things, I decided I may as well see where I am going. I swear, with a light I can walk into, through, and beyond a herd of deer without spooking them. I walk straight at 'em, they can't see what's behind the light and will stand in wonder as I go by. I keep the light on them even after I'm past for some distance, or they will spook. I don't use an LED as the beam seems to "white out" in a really short distance. I prefer the mini-mag lights. Try it, you'll see.

.... and the boogie man will never follow you through the woods if you have a light! :)

Huckleberry Finn

Didn't I JUST text you about this? haha

I've got a red that looks dim, with a double white. And then I've got a hat clip that's green.

Brock, that's a interesting strategy

Derek j

Knox Co.
I have walked to within 10 yards of deer with a green light, and not have them spook. They usually just walk off without a care in the world. Haven't really notices a difference with a white light either. As long as you walk by them and show them no attention, I think it will be ok.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Well, once again I have an opinion I don't expect to be shared by many. :) I use nothing but the standard old white light-flashlight. Here's why; I used to try sneaking into and out of stands with no light. I mistakenly thought it would be more stealthy. For the last 15+ years I have hunted almost exclusively in agricultural areas. No matter what direction I take I am going to cross a field that is likely to have deer in it. After bumping deer without being able to see the dang things, I decided I may as well see where I am going. I swear, with a light I can walk into, through, and beyond a herd of deer without spooking them. I walk straight at 'em, they can't see what's behind the light and will stand in wonder as I go by. I keep the light on them even after I'm past for some distance, or they will spook. I don't use an LED as the beam seems to "white out" in a really short distance. I prefer the mini-mag lights. Try it, you'll see.

.... and the boogie man will never follow you through the woods if you have a light! :)

Very interesting Brock! I might give it a go a few times this season.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Interesting replies so far. I've tried the green, didn't really care for it either. I guess if I was hunting ag country that was wide open, a red or green light might benefit me. But in the areas I hunt, nothing is wide open it seems... The deer don't know you're there until you're right on top of them. And at that point I don't think it matters what color the light is. It sure would be nice if the deer let me walk right up to them with my light pointed at them! I've never had that happen before...

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Jim, deer will walk to a light. I've had 'em close enough to touch just by putting the light on 'em after jumping them pre-dawn. Don't put the beam directly in their eyes, but close. Just like gigging frogs.

jackalope....this is another one you just gotta believe. :)

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Oh yeah, if they get uncomfortably close, turn the light off and talk to them. I'm not kidding here...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I think Brock got in a bad batch of mushrooms at the pizza store. lmao

(I believe ya Brock. Just giving you a hard time.)

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Fuggin' Deer Whisperer..... Just kidding Brock. I use a red light walking in and out, some deer I've spooked, some I haven't. Not really sure if it helps more than a white light would or not.

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
I have used red green and white in the past also. Now I use just plain old white, or nothing being lazy. Bumping deer happened no matter what color so, I decided to use what I could see best with. I also believe if you just walk at a normal pace and not try to be sneaky, the deer are less threatened.