Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

" hen of the woods "

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Just a little heads up. Have any of you ever heard of this tasty treat? While I was coming out of the woods. I was walking through an oak flat. I heard that the " hen of the woods " can be found at the base of old and decaying oak trees. Well, they were right! I found a dandy. It looks like sea coral and can grow up to 50 lbs. MY find happens too be around 15 or so pounds. You talk about Delicious! So, next time any of you are in the vicinity of some oak trees, check around. You maybe blessed with some of the best foraging mushrooms around! Check it out on the Internet. Good luck!

oakswamper

around Toledo
first pic is from last year

And this was the first one this year ;)

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
What a coincidence .... I was just telling someone at work about my " deer camp " where one of the guys brings a whopper each year. He finds this on his property & we have have a feast on it. It pretty much tastes like your spring morels. After it's cut up & soaked in salt water for a bit, it's time to flour 'em up & fry !

It's my understanding the grocery stores will pay big $$ for these, but he brings 'em to us instead, which is good thinking !

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I think I'm gonna have to look around next time I'm out. I've never tried it but you guys are making me want to!

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Lmao! Those happen to be my shed hunting, mushroom, small game hunting comfortable as hell coveralls. Easy access as well. Lol. Seriously guys, those are dandy eating! Go get you some.