Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Opinions

Diablo54

Outside
Shoulder maybe? Dead? Alive?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349570340.099361.jpg

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Is that hair white or does it just look light-colored in contrast to the blood?

It looks like it could have been a shoulder hit. Hard to say whether the deer is dead or alive, though. If it went through just far enough to hit the heart, it could be dead as a door nail. Or you could've just poked one lung and the deer will be fine. How much blood was there on the trail? Color of blood?

Diablo54

Outside
Typically with my bow a shoulder shot will bounce out. Or only penetrate the the base of the shaft. I hit my spot. And it's a Doe. Her fawn ran with her and bleated for awhile in the same spot 10 min later. Very few specks of blood but I didn't track very far.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Shoulder is usually 3" I'm guessing it was a qtr-away shoulder shot? If so, sore, but alive.

Note: I posted before your last post, I would still look tomorrow. You could have hit a rib bone square and got very little glance off of it.....Could have punctured one lung???? Just guessing. Good Luck With Her!

Last edited:

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I'd wait and go out in the morning. If you did reach vitals, she will lay down, and with the cold night, hopefully she will get stiff and not be able to get up. If so, my guess is you will find her close.

Diablo54

Outside
I'll deffinetly look tommorow. Just didn't know what to expect. Seen plenty of shoulder shots out of these type poundage recurves they typically don't penetrate as much as that

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
That make it tough. I'd guess just by what you have to go on that you hit her high. As you know, you hit one in the shoulder, you normally don't go in much past the broadhead. In fact, the threaded part of the shaft is typically broken off in the insert. I can't tell by the pic if you are shooting cedar, but the break is still normally right behind the broadhead.

I have seen them shot in the "backstrap" with the arrow stopping at, but not breaking into the spinal column. If that is whats happened, you have a deer that will likely recover. What you see on your arrow is about all the sign you will find. You may find blood spots for a short distance, but not much.

Then again, you don't know where you hit and she could be stone dead. Hoping for the best!

Gordo

Athens County
I don't know what to make of it since you go trad. Where did you find the arrow? How far from POI?

Good luck bringing her home!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Could have hit opposite shoulder and bounced back, then squirted out when she ran. Which way is the blood smeared, I can't really tell.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
If it was midway up and she was at ten yards, could it be possible you got heart, but the arrow hit the brisket and stopped?

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I wish I could offer more Taylor. If the arrow slapped some under brush as she ran away before falling out, I'm sure it caused some collateral damage. Deer can survive with one punchured lung but if that lung was tore up pretty good it could be lethal. With cool temps tonight I'd slip back in at first light and carry your bow with ya and take up her trail slowly. I hope you find her but she might be alive and ok. Goodluck