Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

another scent smoker testomonial

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
So I managed to get off work today with enough time to hit the woods for a couple hours. I had to go in from the far side due to the westerly winds. By the time I got to my stand it was already pushing 6:30 so instead of climbing up, just to climb back down in an hour, I opted to do a little ground and pound.
i decided to take a route that would circle me south of the main part of the woods and bring me out along a fence line that seperates the corn field on the property I hunt from the neighboring bean field to the south. I arrived at the bean field around 7:10

So here I am, to my right is a bean field, to my left is a brushy fence line and then a corn field. I have permission on the corn field side but not the bean side. Walking the edge of the bean field would eventually bring me to a cut through that will get me back to the property I can hunt at the edge of a large pasture that I have seen deer in the previous evenings. My plan was to slip up on the south side of the hedge to where i can see into the pasture. If there was any deer out there I would see what i could do to get close enough to get a shot.

As I was walking I noticed movement to my left. A good buck just jumped ito the woods on the other side of the beans about 100 yards from me. H was just inside the trees watching me walk up the edge of the field. Something must have happened behind him because he suddenly turned and looked back the other way. I took the opportunity to drop to my knees, and crawl backwards to the brush so I could get my binocs out and get a better look at him.

To my amazement he turned back towards me and started to walk out! He was walking towards and to the left of me at an angle. It became clear he was heading toward the same cut through I was planning on using.

when he got to the point where he was straight down wind of me he stopped...

Last night, I took some time and smoked up all my hunting clothes and put them into plastic bins. By the time I got to my spot, i was sweaty and dirty from work, so I sprayed down with scent killer and put my hunting clothes on over my work clothes. All I could smell was the smoke, but in the back of my mind I was still aware of the fact that beneath the smoky clothes, I stunk like sweat and a construction site.

.... He stopped and sniffed the air. Did that funky lip curl thing a couple times, and kept coming. He was a bit more cautious, he knew something was there but it was like he just couldnt figure out what or where it was.

At one point, he was 30 yards from me, down wind. Every time he put his head down I saw a chance to draw my bow, but I didnt have permission to shoot him, i was also aware that if I did shoot, the direction he was heading would take him into a standing cornfield, and a wet one at that. I'm not exactly experienced at blood trailing, and trying to find a deer in a cornfield in the rain didnt sound appealing. I had to wait till he got past me, went through the cut through, turned right and went into the pasture, and then sneak in behind and hopefully get a chance to take a shot.

Unfortunately, He just got that feeling I guess and ended up turning and going back out into the beans. he didnt run, but its like he knew something was wrong.

I did get the chance to get my phone out and snap a pic.

At this point he was about fourty yards straight down wind. He made it another 10 before he decided to back off.

scent smoker, I'm sold.