Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Gift Card Dilemma

Ok, so I received a Cabela's gift card for Christmas last year and I still have it, Everyday I get on there website and I look at different things I want but I cant decide, So I figured I would ask for some help. If you had $50 gift card to Cabela's What would be in you Shopping cart at the check out?

Ok, so I received a Cabela's gift card for Christmas last year and I still have it, Everyday I get on there website and I look at different things I want but I cant decide, So I figured I would ask for some help. If you had $50 gift card to Cabela's What would be in you Shopping cart at the check out?

I got like 46$ on a Cabelas card and can't decide myself...Merino Wool socks are a must have if you ask me(I have some already),but you might consider some..

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Dude, I've been in your position more times than I can count. Even had a thread similar to this a while back, too. I'm terrible at deciding what to buy when I have "free" money burning a whole in my pocket. Usually I end up putting it toward something more expensive... something really nice. The gift card just softens the blow a little bit.

A chronograph would be sweet. So would extra broadheads... or millennium receiver brackets... or a Havalon knife... or butchering supplies.

Shit, that's just deer hunting stuff. I could start another list of waterfowl gear if you'd like... :)

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
BTBO, name some things you need or are interested in and we'll help you decide.
If you're like me, you don't "need" anything, but "want" some stuff...

And btw, you'll probably get another card this christmas...or your birthday...or remind your honey that sweetest day is coming and it works both ways.... so it really wouldn't hurt you to save it and combine it with another card to get something a little more costly...just sayin....you don't HAVE to spend it....

Well right now I was looking at a couple different things, My main problem is I don't know if I should go for Waterfowl or Deer Season gear. I could always use some more decoys but those cost a pretty penny, looked at a couple different goose calls but I hate Buying those online, On the deer hunting side of things thats a totally new ball game to me Not sure what stuff every hunter "should have" I only really got into the whitetail thing this year. The Idea of saving the cards is a great idea but if i dont use them this season they wont get used for awhile, Ill be in the sandbox all next year.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I agree with J Brown on this one. I usually add a few dollars and buy something I would not normally spend my own money on but would like to have it. My last one was added towards a good, silent, high-dollar rain suit ~~ worth it's weight in gold!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Well right now I was looking at a couple different things, My main problem is I don't know if I should go for Waterfowl or Deer Season gear. I could always use some more decoys but those cost a pretty penny, looked at a couple different goose calls but I hate Buying those online, On the deer hunting side of things thats a totally new ball game to me Not sure what stuff every hunter "should have" I only really got into the whitetail thing this year. The Idea of saving the cards is a great idea but if i dont use them this season they wont get used for awhile, Ill be in the sandbox all next year.

I don't know what kind of gear you already own, but here are a few of JBrown's must-have items...

For deer hunting:
1) Quality safety harness with lineman's belt,
2) Sharp broadheads or quality shotgun sabots,
3) Sharp knives,
4) Hand muff,
5) Paracord and carabiners (for use as pull ropes)

For waterfowl:
1) Quality, waterproof gloves,
2) A good blind bag,
3) Stanley thermos,
4) Kicks or Patternmaster choke tube,
5) Hevi-Metal shotgun shells
Bonus 6) Quality waders (obviously these cost much more than 50 bucks, though)

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Don't know much about waterfowl so you are going to have to rely on the other guys there. Since you are new to whitetail hunting, I will throw a few items out. If you are bow hunting and do not have a range finder, I would throw this suggestion out. I will second or third or whatever the suggestion of a good harness. Maybe a good headlamp for walking in or out with a red lens? Several great choices available but it is tough to make suggestions if we don't know what you have and don't have.

I usually use my gift cards towards an item I normally wouldn't buy. By taking the gift card total off a larger purchase, I sometimes buy something I wouldn't have bought myself otherwise.