Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Want to shed hunt with your dog?

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
Then watch here! My best friend got a Lab a while back and I told him to train him to shed hunt, so he started with him at about 9 months old. I taught my Lab Boone, and he's far from spectacular, but he knows the commands and can find them. I have to work with mine more on scent discrimination if I want to get serious with him, but he has the basics down pat. Well, Dan got a new puppy and has been working relentlessly with him to make him into a serious shed dog. He's gotten into making videos and editing them, so he thought he'd make videos on how to teach your dog to be a shed hunter. Please let him know if you like it or what you'd like to see!

Part I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-mo_Igj6jM&feature=relmfu

Part II
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47K_2UWaTgA&feature=relmfu

Part III
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58JU-yh9oZA&feature=relmfu

And more to come if people show interest in still wanting to see them!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Heck yea! I have been following his thread over on AT. Great stuff right there. I'm hoping to get a dog in the near future... Mostly for waterfowl, but I plan on working with him/her on deer sheds as well.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Wow, these labs really impressed me..... Me likey!!!!! Hey Sam when's Hank going too get involved in this stuff?????

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
Be careful JB, they say once a dog gets a taste of feather and blood, they won't shed hunt anymore. Never tried it myself, but that's what the pros say.

We just enjoy it because it adds yet another facet to getting outdoors and doing stuff year round. And it makes scouting a TON more enjoyable. I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have Boone to walk with me, talk with, and sleep with when I go scouting in those endless hills down south lol! Yes, I talk to my dog hahahahaha!

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
This is my favorite picture of said scouting trips with Boone. This was taken last year on one of my public land escapades. He was almost a year old here or right at...

And just a few weeks ago at some local public ground...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Good stuff man! I bought my chocolate lab for that specific reason and lost interest in the training which was a bad move on my part because his nose is unreal. He can't see for shit, but that dog can smell a mouse fart from 1/2 a mile...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Be careful JB, they say once a dog gets a taste of feather and blood, they won't shed hunt anymore. Never tried it myself, but that's what the pros say.

We just enjoy it because it adds yet another facet to getting outdoors and doing stuff year round. And it makes scouting a TON more enjoyable. I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have Boone to walk with me, talk with, and sleep with when I go scouting in those endless hills down south lol! Yes, I talk to my dog hahahahaha!

Dang... I was afraid of that. Well, I'm getting a dog to use for waterfowl mainly. The shed hunting would simply be a bonus, so if it doesn't work out it's no big deal. Thanks for the heads-up, though... I should look into that a bit more.

LonewolfNopack

The woods
I will have to check that video out after work this evening. Here is a picture of my "shed dog" Two Socks after finding her first antler last this past spring. I love hunting those CRP fields and so does she. She was a dog that someone dropped off at a local wildlife area the previous year and shes been my good buddy every since. Shes snoring next to me on the couch right now.

310375_4596506116983_1765562863_n.jpg

Last edited:

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
Good stuff man! I bought my chocolate lab for that specific reason and lost interest in the training which was a bad move on my part because his nose is unreal. He can't see for shit, but that dog can smell a mouse fart from 1/2 a mile...

So did I Jesse. I would like to bird hunt with him, but there aren't enough pheasants around and I don't have the drive to become an avid waterfowler around here. If we were in a more active fly zone I might. But as of now, I'm not dropping the money on decoys and trying to find places to duck hunt.

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
I would say do it Ryan, but it's hard with a dog that isn't yours. The biggest key to starting them is playing with them everyday with the shed. Every dog is different though. I thought I didn't spend enough time with Boone, turns out it's just his personality. My buddies dog Blake, the older one, is a nut when shed hunting, like a bee, back and forth. Mine, he's just like whatever, I find one I find one... Turns out, all this training Dan has been doing with Toby, he's just like Boone. He'll find them, but has no real desire to, just like Boone...