Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Morning vs Evening Kills

Buckmaster

Portage
During archery season most of my sightings and kills are in the evening over the morning. I'd venture to say my kill ratio in the evening 3:1 over mornings.

How about you?

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
i think im about even really ive got a friend that hunts mostly evenings and usually pays off good for him, but hes basicly too lazy to get up in the morning so thats why he chooses too hunt evenings

For Ohio our mornings have always done better hands down. We hunt a lot of bedding areas and travel routes to and from bedding so that's a good part of it. Michigan, mostly evenings simply because our hunting is around agriculture fields and they are a bitch to hunt in the AM!

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Hmmmm. Now that I think about it, all of my kills have been evening kills. To be fair, I don't hunt as often in the mornings though. Can't hunt without coffee and don't hunt well with it! :smiley_boos:

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
For Ohio our mornings have always done better hands down. We hunt a lot of bedding areas and travel routes to and from bedding so that's a good part of it. Michigan, mostly evenings simply because our hunting is around agriculture fields and they are a bitch to hunt in the AM!

Kind of similar situation, minus the state change. The property I hunt now is better suited for the mornings because it is bedding areas. The property I used to hunt, and still do once in awhile, is better for evenings because everyway in goes through the feeding fields.

badger

*Supporting Member*
Evening for me, but I have logged far more stand time in the evenings. That being said, I'm going to squeeze a morning hunt in tomorrow before IOP. I'll have to be out of the stand by 8:15, which kinda sucks.

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
I think my evenings are better. I know I'm far more excited for the evening. My buck kills are about 50/50 though. I sure do like it a lot better when I shoot them in the morning!

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
I would rather do an evening hunt most of the time. It seems that I have killed more does in the morning, and bucks in the p.m. And usually when I have to be back at work. In all fairness I tend to be more open to shooting a doe in the morning. On the flip side one of the largest bucks I have seen from stand.I saw him once at 0900 and the other was at 1400.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
More morning kills than evening for me.... not for lack of trying g though lol.... I'm on stand now trying too remedy that lol....

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
All depends on your setup, IMO. If you're sitting on top of or close to a food source, evenings will probably yield more sightings during the early season. If you're hunting staging areas or bedding areas, mornings might be better. Obviously if you go stumbling into a food plot or an oak flat at daybreak you're probably going to bump deer, and as a result you won't see much that morning.

I think that's why the responses here show so much variation. Everybody hunts a little bit differently. Personally I've probably killed more evening deer during the early season than mornings, but then again I don't get much time to hunt in the mornings. Come rut, I spend a good deal of mornings in a tree, and have way more sightings than in the evenings.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm about 50/50 on good buck kills. I used to hunt evenings a lot more than mornings, now I hunt mornings more than evenings. It has taken some getting used to, but I now prefer mornings.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm about 50/50 on good buck kills. I used to hunt evenings a lot more than mornings, now I hunt mornings more than evenings. It has taken some getting used to, but I now prefer mornings.

I'm the same way. I'd much rather hunt mornings than evenings... Although when I first started deer hunting as a kid I preferred the evenings. I have a buddy that argues with me all the time that mornings suck for deer hunting. He just doesn't get it. Thing is, he only hunts over bait and he's afraid of the dark... so there you have it. lmao

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Killed one buck in the evening and one around 10am. Evening buck was solo. 10am buck was following 5 does in early December. I have seen many more bucks in the evenings. I just try not to crowd bedding areas in the mornings unless I feel I have one pegged down pretty good. Only having 2 buck kills tells you I have not had many pegged down that well. lmao

I would say I see more deer overall in the evenings, but to be fair I also hunt more evenings.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
With morning hunts, you stay until you don't want to be there. Evening hunts end when they want. That's what I like about mornings.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
During archery season most of my sightings and kills are in the evening over the morning. I'd venture to say my kill ratio in the evening 3:1 over mornings.

How about you?

A big 10-4 Ben! Although the last 3 shooters I've taken have been mornings my ratio is very much like yours if not more tilted. Maybe in years past(for me anyway), it been me not taking the the right entry routes and bumping deer on the way to my stand?!? It's hard to know where deer are going to be when walking in the early morning darkness but I'm sure it's hurt my morning hunts more than its has helped. During the rut though I've noticed it's not so much the case as if you do bump a deer, that roaming mature buck that is 1/2 to 3 miles away doesn't know what had just happened and can and will probably be around shortly.

Good thread Ben!