Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

I'm gonna miss chipper jones..

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Hell of a ball player with no BS, steriods or drama ..One hell of a career and should be a first ballot guy. wont be one like him for a while...enjoy retirement chipper

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I cheer for the Mets, along with the Tigers. Chipper was our favorite guy to hate, but damn it if you don't love and respect him. He even named his son Shea, in honor of the Mets old ballpark, Shea Stadium. I hope the sports card market rebounds. I literally have a few dozen of his rookie cards.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
He was my oldest daughter's "first love", and she dreamed about marrying him one day. Her room was plastered with pictures of him. I loved those types of b/f's.......nice and safe!
I bought her a retirement t-shirt for Christmas so she can add it to her collection!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've been a Reds fan my entire life and by default, have hated the Braves. But I have always liked Chipper. I have his rookie card and I remember being excited to get it because he wore #10 and so did I. IMO, he is in the Top 10 of all ball players in my lifetime and is probably the #3 switch hitter of all time. Congrats on a great career Larry Wayne Jones!!! :smiley_clap:

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I never did like the Braves, but got to catch a Brave's game down in Atlanta when I was down there a few years back. Chipper Jones was top notch in the baseball world!!

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
you guys talk about rookie cards, my oldest brother was born in 1963, my other was born in 1968 and I was born in 1973. Every year for Christmas my parents would buy us the complete set of TOPPS baseball cards. So, since 73 I have complete sets. My older brothers would still buy cards at the grocery store checkout lines, so I was able to land some doubles that they had from other years.
Some of my prized rookie cards are Robin Yount, Nolan Ryan, Barry Bonds, Chipper, etc...
I have to go through them and see all of the big names. It's been awhile.
I stopped getting complete sets in about 1993 or so.

Now that I mention this, I might have to start doing this for my boys. Like mentioned earlier, the card market sucks now, but it's still cool to have them.

Jesse, I have a great Pete Rose collection that you would love. Of course, it includes his Phillies days too.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
you guys talk about rookie cards, my oldest brother was born in 1963, my other was born in 1968 and I was born in 1973. Every year for Christmas my parents would buy us the complete set of TOPPS baseball cards. So, since 73 I have complete sets. My older brothers would still buy cards at the grocery store checkout lines, so I was able to land some doubles that they had from other years.
Some of my prized rookie cards are Robin Yount, Nolan Ryan, Barry Bonds, Chipper, etc...
I have to go through them and see all of the big names. It's been awhile.
I stopped getting complete sets in about 1993 or so.

Now that I mention this, I might have to start doing this for my boys. Like mentioned earlier, the card market sucks now, but it's still cool to have them.

Jesse, I have a great Pete Rose collection that you would love. Of course, it includes his Phillies days too.
yep i have a bunch also...I have a Joe Montana Rookie card that i will surprise my brother with one day. It was originally his..Too bad Ken Griffey junior didn't pan out later in his career...i have like 20 upper deck rookie cards of his...

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Go Braves!

Chipper was great! Too bad David Justice went Hollywood because he was one of my favorites also. Great swing!

The Braves had some class act and talented players from the 90's to the early 2000's

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Great ball player on the field, dedicated too the team which is a rarity these days..... I have a lot of respect for his plying ability just as a man off the field he's no differant then most of them..... I guess it comes with the rockstar status of being an athlete..... Very few players of old could stand the scrutiny either.....

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Great ball player on the field, dedicated too the team which is a rarity these days..... I have a lot of respect for his plying ability just as a man off the field he's no differant then most of them..... I guess it comes with the rockstar status of being an athlete..... Very few players of old could stand the scrutiny either.....

Great point! Love seeing guys stay with one team throughout their career. Are there any others right now that are great players that are with one team?
Derek Jeter and Mariano Rivera come to mind. Rivera may have been somewhere else, not sure.

Trust me, I despise the Yanks, but Jeter is a great player.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Great point! Love seeing guys stay with one team throughout their career. Are there any others right now that are great players that are with one team?
Derek Jeter and Mariano Rivera come to mind. Rivera may have been somewhere else, not sure.

Trust me, I despise the Yanks, but Jeter is a great player.

U should love Jeter, He is a UM alum. I have a shit ton Jeter rookies, Brett Favre, a bunch of HOF players.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
U should love Jeter, He is a UM alum. I have a shit ton Jeter rookies, Brett Favre, a bunch of HOF players.

Funny you mention that. I have a good friend who is a huge UM fan. We had an argument one day about Jeter's role at UM. He basically had no role in the baseball program there and was only on campus for a short time. Of course, he claims Jeter is a UM alum! Lol

It's all good. He did have a full ride there, but didn't need it, of course.

Good story here about Jeter.

http://www.examiner.com/article/remembering-derek-jeter-s-days-at-university-of-michigan

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Funny you mention that. I have a good friend who is a huge UM fan. We had an argument one day about Jeter's role at UM. He basically had no role in the baseball program there and was only on campus for a short time. Of course, he claims Jeter is a UM alum! Lol

It's all good. He did have a full ride there, but didn't need it, of course.

Good story here about Jeter.

http://www.examiner.com/article/remembering-derek-jeter-s-days-at-university-of-michigan

Yea, I know. He's a huge UM fan. A few weeks ago he and AROD were up there visiting

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Chipper Jones... Just a flat-out, no-bullshit, work-hard-play-harder type of ball player. Definitely one of my favorites...