Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Lost land now going public... help please

woodyw333

Cincinnati Oh
Ok well we lost our land this year so now gonna do the public land thing cause everyone just loves "THEIR" deer and dont want them to get hurt.. Does anybody have any first hand experience at Tranquility or East Fork areas?? Another possablity was Ceasers Creek.. Any advise would be appreciated!

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Lots of deer at CC - lots of hunters too -
I hunt sometimes on the north end in the narrow strip by the actual creek because there's ag fields....see lots of does mornings/evenings coming out to feed but not during the day...but I know some guys who hunt other areas and go kinda deep and have had some success

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Best of luck on hunting the public land. The most common advice I've heard on the forums over the years has been go in earlier and go deeper, to avoid the interruption of other hunters.

woodyw333

Cincinnati Oh
Lots of deer at CC - lots of hunters too -
I hunt sometimes on the north end in the narrow strip by the actual creek because there's ag fields....see lots of does mornings/evenings coming out to feed but not during the day...but I know some guys who hunt other areas and go kinda deep and have had some success

Thanks for the info! I just talked to a buddy that hunts East Fork and he said the same thing.. I got a feeling that Ohio aint gonna be good to me this year.. hope im wrong but the gut is telling me otherwise..

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I've hunted Hueston Woods, CC, East Fork, Stone Lick,Indian Creek and Paint Creek. The less pressure was in Paint Creek but that was over 8 years ago. Some huge buck rubs there. You might try Shawnee State forest down by Portsmouth. It's a far distance but over 80,000 acres,less pressure and huge bucks from what I've been told. I've personally never hunted it but it might be worth a check.

Sorry I'm not much help. Had many hunts spoiled by other hunters no matter how deep I got at the other places.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
I have hunted CC and Paint Creek. Paint Creek by far had less pressure. Never had an issue finding a spot all to myself and only had another hunter come on me a couple times in the 6 or 7 years I hunted there.

dangerousoldman

I live on the north end of caesar's creek. Public land is just a stones throw from the edge of my property. I have found that a lot of the hunters that hunt CC are generally in the woods within a couple hundred yards of the road. They kill some deer every year. I have had a lot more success seeing deer in the high weedfields and along the edges in some of the areas that border private land. Go to the visitors center on clarksville rd and get a map of the available public areas, then look around the north area where there are some thinner strips of land open to the public bordered by private land. Another area that i havent hunted in several years but I always thought held some promise was just past the dam and across the large spillway cutout bout a quarter mile past the dam. fossil hunters park there in the overflow cut out. There will be a high bank on the north side of the road after the overflow cutout. Up in the wooded area on the high side (same side as dam) there are a number of nut trees and used to be good deer sign. I would see signs of another hunter during bow season but never ran into any hunters while I was out. BUT I havent been there during gun season either. Remember what I said about the weedfields that border the woods. Largest buck i have ever seen came walking down the weekfield across from hopewell lodge one evening. I still dream about that one. I had a 35 yd shot and managed to undershoot the deer. Let the other hunters have the woods, you take the fields and the edges....my $.02

woodyw333

Cincinnati Oh
Wow! Ok thanks! I have a good idea where you are talking about cause we go boating up there a lot and we but in right by the dam. I will get up there take the bow and do some scouting.. I have no intentions of going anywhere near public land when the orange army is out.. I got shot at enough when I was in Iraq, I dont need to get shot at while trying to hunt deer! There are guys out there that shoot at sound not sight..