Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Cotty's Hunt Journal

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
First day out was Sunday morning (30th) and Klay (10)was able to bag his first deer, a 4 pointer.

In the evening, I sat in a stand on my own and my dad took my other boy, Kody (12)to a blind. I had a 4 point offer me up a chip shot. Too bad it wasn't a target buck that strolled in. My dad and Kody were skunked.

I'm taking the rest of the work week off from hunting and will be back at it this weekend and so will Kody.

Hours on stand: 4
AM Sits: 1
PM Sits: 1
All Day Sits: 0
Bucks: 2
Doe: 0
Shooters: 0
Harvests: 1 (Klay)
Coyotes: 0

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Took Kody out Saturday morning and sat in the same stand where Klay shot his. It was slow most of the morning until about 9:00 when 2 doe strolled in. That is all we saw other than an unidentified deer that we jumped on the way in.

Sunday evening my dad took Kody on the opposite end of a field edge I'm hunting. 4 doe came out feeding at 6:45 and that was it.

Back at it Monday evening.

Hours on stand: 9
AM Sits: 2
PM Sits: 2
Bucks: 2
Doe: 6

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Perfect morning!!! Sunshine peaking over my shoulder... No deer sightings yet, but who cares? I know I'll change my tune later, but man what a morning!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350129156.135831.jpg

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The morning started off slow and I started to question this whol solunar thing. The prediction was a busy morning with the moon up with the sun.

Low and behold, at 9:30 2 doe strolled in with a spike and 4 point in tow. The wind was directly out of the SE and would you know it? They stood directly downwind. The mama froze for a minute and started stomping a little and looking my way. However, she calmed down relatively quick and made her way to a very small field (about 40'x40') to feed some. Her yearling stopped at the part of the trail where I have to jump off a small high wall about 4 feet high and she kept sniffing around. As I stated above, she sounded like my old beagle searching for a bunny trail. She kept sniffing real quick and making little pig snort sounds. It was pretty cool watching her. She soon followed mom to the field.
The small bucks followed as well. The fed in front of me for about 15 minutes and head back into the woods and out of sight.

About 30 minutes later, two more came in and thatw as it.

Hours on stand: 15
AM Sits: 3
PM Sits: 3
Bucks: 4
Doe: 10

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
No, the wind died down near dusk, but nothing.
I'm getting pretty frustrated with the spot. I have a panoramic view of a big field and haven't seen anything in it in the last few sits. No doe is alarming.

As for Kody, they jumped a doe on the way in and then had some guy ride up on them on a quad. There is no trail there and it's private property. The guy saw the blind and left. He came within 30 yards of it. Buncha shit.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Man! What a frustrating evening Mike! Fuggin idiots are coming out of the woodwork! Sorry to hear. Hope things get better for you guys .

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Keep at it Mike, you never know when your luck might change! It only takes 5 minutes to turn a season around!

I'm gonna keep trying. In all reality, last night was not good for deer movement. They may be used to it for those flatlanders, but us hill hunters don't usually see much when the wind is kicking. I just kept thinking, if I were a deer, I'd get out in the field where I could see and just bed down in the tall grass.

I'm going to give it a few more sits there and see what develops. But, if the doe don't start feeding out there my hopes of a target making a mistake just diminish.

Hours on stand: 17
AM Sits: 3
PM Sits: 4
Bucks: 4
Doe: 11
Idiots: 1

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I'm gonna keep trying. In all reality, last night was not good for deer movement. They may be used to it for those flatlanders, but us hill hunters don't usually see much when the wind is kicking. I just kept thinking, if I were a deer, I'd get out in the field where I could see and just bed down in the tall grass.

If you can find the back side of rock cliff of a deep holler to hunt when it is windy, you will see deer. We get terrible wind at the house all the time, usually 5-10mph worse than anywhere else close by. The wind doesn't get down into those deep hollers, so the deer get up and feed regularly. I have seen them several times now bed with their backs to a rock face where they are both protected from preditors on their backside and from the wind. They will watch down wind for danger.