Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Need some tracking advice

Scarlet&Gray

S.E. Ohio
Well I took a shot at my second deer ever and connected. Now I need some tracking advice but first the rundown:

Around 6ish a large group of does showed up around my stand. A big momma and two smaller does broke off and placed themselves in front of me. When the mom started grazing I took aim and took the shot. Her hind legs went high in the area and I saw blood. She took off with the two towards the back corner of the woods, and I kept my eyes on her. She stopped in brush and I lost sight. I got down from the stand after about an hour and headed back to the house, got flashlights and a headlamp. Going back I could not find my arrow at all, but found a good blood trail. The blood trail went all the way back to where I last saw her and her young ones. A couple big puddles and a couple small droplets then I lost the trail. After two hours I could not find beyond the last droplet, marked it and figured I'd return tomorrow.

Here is where I am worried. I started to walk back but must have headed the wrong way in the dark and started towards the back of the woods. Suddenly I caught two sets of eyes in my headlight. I stopped immediately and could tell in the LED light it was the two yearlings (almost positive). They didn't run and only moved a little further on then laid down and watched me. I didn't see a third set of eyes or a larger doe. I flipped on the red light of my headlamp and tried to back out as quite as possible. I am now back at the house writing this. Phew

Question: Will the deer most likely stay put or did my un-intentional run in with them probably bump them further. Is it OK to just resume tomorrow? AccuWeather says possible rain in my area so the blood trail I marked up might disappear. Also with the mild temps if the mom kicks the bucket tonight will the meat be spoiled?

Last year I got my first deer. I tracked it myself into late standing corn and then had to call a friend for help. He along with my help found it in the "corn maze". This year im on my own and hope I didn't just lose my first deer :smiley_blackeye:

SG

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Sounds like she is dead if the young ones did not want to run off. I would guess she is close by. Honestly with the rain coming in, I would head back out unless you have some reason to think it was not a legal shot. How far did you track her before you lost blood?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Go out at first daylight find the blood trail retrace your steps and you'll probably be pleasantly surprised..... Good luck and post pictures.....

Didn't see Jesse's post if rains on the way, try some more tracking before it comes in......

jeremy44230

Medina County
Sounds like she is dead if the young ones did not want to run off. I would guess she is close by. Honestly with the rain coming in, I would head back out unless you have some reason to think it was not a legal shot. How far did you track her before you lost blood?

Agreed! That doe's youngin's hung out for about 45 minutes Monday when I shot mine. They don't know what to do at that time. Backing out was good.

How much blood trial was there? Could you hear her crash?

Good luck man!

Huckleberry Finn

With rain the forecast, I'd go back...

I had to yell at a twin to leave when I was arms deep in his sister...that's a sign to me.

Scarlet&Gray

S.E. Ohio
There is no reason it would not have been a legal shot and the rain just started so I might head back out. The spotlight is on charge ATM. I tracked her blood about 100yds maybe, right to the spot I last saw her from the treestand with binos before she went into brush. It was weird, puddle, puddle, drop drop, then nothing for the the life of me. I did the best surveying circles I could lol.

When I started back and "ran into" the yearlings it was about another 30yds from where the last blood was. Thick brush as it was logged last year

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Deer do not generally "spook" from a light. I have used a flashlight for years to walk through herds of deer on the way out of stand. If you saw what you believe to be the young ones hanging around, their mommy is laying there dead most likely.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Did you see where you hit her? The high jump kick is a sign of a lethal hit. You couldn't find the arrow but had good blood. The arrow is still in her but shes bleeding, shes been hit hard. I agree with Jesse, it's been three and a half hours on what sounds like a solid hit. I would guess shes dead. get out and look before the rain comes in. I bet she isn't far.
Where about on 314 are you?

Scarlet&Gray

S.E. Ohio
Agreed! That doe's youngin's hung out for about 45 minutes Monday when I shot mine. They don't know what to do at that time. Backing out was good.

How much blood trial was there? Could you hear her crash?

Good luck man!

Nice bloodtrail, suprised me how easy it was up until the point I lost it. I almost want to chalk it up to my shotty skills as the last couple blood spots were puddles, then just drops, then nothing that I could see circling for a good long time. No crash, I saw her just stand tail tucked with the binos before they disappeared into the brush.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'd get back after her and look close to that brush. Be sure to use your nose. You'd be surprised when that you can smell them before you see them sometimes...

jeremy44230

Medina County
Sometimes once it gets a little dark, I have a bit of a harder time spotting the blood. Just let your eyes adjust and look hard and long!

Those babies must of been near her. Probably don't want to leave her... May be a good sign. Hope so man!

Scarlet&Gray

S.E. Ohio
Headin back out because of the rain see what I can find. Hopefully I'll be back on with good news.

@dante I might have hit slightly low but I'm not sure. She did a huge hind jump almost backflipped lol. I'm on 314 towards Shelby right before 61 runs into 314.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Sometimes once it gets a little dark, I have a bit of a harder time spotting the blood. Just let your eyes adjust and look hard and long!

Those babies must of been near her. Probably don't want to leave her... May be a good sign. Hope so man!

Exactly, they were close too her.... She was probably down for the count and they were close too her..... That would be a good starting point... Find the yearlings and you'll more than likely find her......

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I'm on 314 towards Shelby right before 61 runs into 314.

I'm in Galion. Bout 20 minutes from there. I have to head for work at 3:00 in the morning, but I can come help look for a little while if you want some help.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
If you don't find her tonight I can come help you look for her tomorrow if you want. I am about 20min from you.

Like others have said, I would guess she is right there where the youngins laid down when you spoted them with the light. They won't leave her as she is the safety net and only one they trust. They will get hungry and wonder off a little later but will return as long as she is laying there. I would look in that area tonight or first thing in the morning. By the sounds of the shot you said it started bleeding at impact and did a high mule kick then I would say she was lucky to make it as far as she did. Probably got to the safety of the brush and bedded down and died withen 20-30 yards of going in. The tucked tail as she entered the brush also tells me she was hit hard.