Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Another Property Lost To A Lease

steveOh

Dayton Area
Well the inevitable happened, the landowner leased her land out from under us to one of the big leasing outfits in southern Ohio. Her neighbors have been leasing for a few years and the elderly landowner, a recent widow, probably couldn't refuse the money. I don't blame her, just pisses me off that she didn't give us a chance to counteroffer and that she informed us at the last minute. Before he passed away her late husband told us that he would never lease. He enjoyed us coming down to hunt and also wanted to be in control with who was hunting his land. I don't know what is on the lease but they had a few of their grand kids that hunted the property too. We still have stands up down there, I hope, and need to get them before they disappear.

Looks like I might have to sell all my hunting stuff and take up quilting for the winter:smiley_depressive:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Danged sorry to hear this Steve. If I was you though, ASAP you need to go there and take down all your stands. They are yours and you might find some land elsewhere to put them on.

Don't let this get you down, if there's a WILL there's a WAY. Goodluck

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
BTW, is that you in your avatar? If so, what'd that booner score? 180's? That is a monster! Congrats is its yours.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Was it leased by an outfitter or by a land broker company offering hunting properties ? Sucks either way and I hope you get all your stands back and find a new place to hang them. I also hope she sees the error she made and allow you guys back in there next season.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That really blows. I can't believe she didn't at least discuss it with you guys first. I would have reminded her of what her late husband told you...

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
At this point it really doesn't matter what the Husband wanted, she's the owner and will do what she wants too.... It amazes me how the widows in some cases throw logic out the window when the Husband isn't around anymore..... Apparentley she didn't let the grandkids in on it as well? The only other explanation is maybe the leaser bullied her into it???? Maybe a possibility.... Who knows but it sucks either way for you.....

LonewolfNopack

The woods
That sucks. Hunting truly is becoming a rich mans sport. Having big bucks is a double edged sword. Hope you find another place. I have lost a lot of land to similar reasons.

steveOh

Dayton Area
Thanks guys. I can't blame her for leasing, just wish she would have given us the opportunity to make an offer. We were willing to cover her property taxes. We'll keep in her good graces, not burning any bridges. If it is the same outfit that is leasing next door, which I'm almost sure it is, it is Base Camp. What gets me is that most of the acreage is pasture with a few small woodlots that the cattle tromp down. No crops other than hay/alfalfa. The property doesn't hold any deer and is hard to bow hunt because the deer travel anywhere and it is hard to find a choke point. Anyway I'm working on finding out if our stands are still there, can't get down there until next week.

Finelyshedded,
Buckmaster is right. Back in 1995 I got lucky and shot the 12 point typical down in Hocking Co. with a shotgun. It was the biggest typical taken that year in the state and scored 188 2/8 BBBC. B&C scored it 187 1/8. I don't know where it stands now in the BBBC record book, I lost track with all the big bucks that have been taken since. Maybe Mrex will fill us in on the standings...
Steve

LonewolfNopack

The woods
steve, Base Camp leasing is now advertising in the Highland county press. If I remember right you hunt in Adams? I knew that leasing was starting to show its ugly head in the southwestern part of the state, and now it is here. In ten years we will all either own land, be hunting with Coonie on the Wayne, or paying to hunt. Its just simply what it has came too and we have no choice but to accept.

Last edited:

steveOh

Dayton Area
steve, Base Camp leasing is now advertising in the Highland county press. If I remember right you hunt in Adams? I knew that leasing was starting to show its ugly head in the southwestern part of the state, and now it is here. In ten years we will all either own land, be hunting with Coonie on the Wayne, or paying to hunt. Its just simply what it has came too and we have no choice but to accept.

Yep Adams Co. Might have to break out the old camping gear and head down to the Wayne with Coonie and the gang, dang I hate climbing those hills!

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Its one thing to have some other hunters lease a place to hunt it themselves but IMO lease brokers are worse than lawyers. Base camp is really leasing a lot in Ohio . If the lease goes unfilled then no one hunts. And a fair amount of theirs go unfilled I think

What gets me is that most of the acreage is pasture with a few small woodlots that the cattle tromp down. No crops other than hay/alfalfa. The property doesn't hold any deer and is hard to bow hunt because the deer travel anywhere and it is hard to find a choke point. Anyway I'm working on finding out if our stands are still there, can't get down there until next week.

Would venture to say that some of these companies probably don't worry about that stuff, just having enough places to put all the paying clients is first and foremost!!

steveOh

Dayton Area
Would venture to say that some of these companies probably don't worry about that stuff, just having enough places to put all the paying clients is first and foremost!!

Agreed, but if you wanted to lease and looked at the property and aerial photos before signing up for a lease why would you be willing to pay thousands of dollars to hunt mostly open land?