Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Tough one to swallow...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
As the title implies, the loss of the doe I shot on Saturday has been tough for me to deal with. I killed my first deer with a bow in 2000 and since that kill, I have only lost two deer with a bow in close to 20 total kills. The first deer I lost was in 2001 and could be contributed more to a poor decision to track a single lung shot deer, than it could the shot itself. That buck was a P&Y 8 and has always haunted me as it would have been my first buck. Losing that doe on Saturday drug up some feelings I hoped I would never feel again. However I knew I would face that gut wrenching feeling sooner or later because as we all know, if you do this long enough, you will have to deal with losing a deer. I did not hunt at all Sunday as it just didn’t feel right to be back in the woods and honestly, I still don’t feel like being out there. There is simply no excuse for me to not kill a deer that gave me the shot she did, yet I somehow failed to finish things. After some serious evaluation of the shot, the track job, and the final results, I felt this was a valuable learning experience for me and hope it could serve as such to someone else. That being said, here is a look at how things went down Saturday evening and what transpired after the shot.

Below is a crude diagram of the shot angle she gave me from my blind at a distance of 20 yards. As you can see from the angle, the arrow should have caught offside lung even if the shot was a bit forward. The arrow was a complete pass through and buried in the ground at an angle that after further thought, indicated it actually passed through at a forward angle, not a backwards angle as it should have. When I first inspected the arrow, I did not give it a second thought. It wasn’t until later in the night that I thought about what the arrow should have told me.

If I was aiming at a baseball, I hit on the outside edge of the baseball at 9 o’clock. The yellow dot on the deer below shows where my arrow impacted. The doe is standing at a similar angle to the one I was presented with. I have played the shot over a thousand times in my head and to be honest, I’m not so sure I would have changed the impact. If anything, I would have moved it back 2”, but I did not feel it was far enough forward to miss vitals. Additionally, the arrow did not “CRACK” like it would have had I hit should and the sound of the impact was the familiar sound of one hitting the chest cavity. Everything happened in slow motion it seemed and I can still see those fletching disappearing in that yellow dot…

There was blood at the impact and brown hair that indicated the shot was in the chest. The blood was a brighter red than what I would have liked and it was sans air bubbles, but I still felt it was a good shot at the time. Roughly 25 minutes after the shot, I decided to stalk to the last place I saw here using the four wheeler path she had used as an escape route. The walk was quiet given the absence of leaves and I never jumped her. About 150 yards in to the track job, I begin to get worried and started to reevaluate everything. At the shot, she dropped and really threw her front shoulder back seemingly at the same time the arrow impacted her and it had me wondering what it could have done to the arrow as it passed through. I now knew I was not dealing with a heart shot deer, and was thinking it was a single lung hit. Seeing something white another 50 yards ahead, I pressed on only to find two large spots of blood where she had stopped and that the white, was a milk jug. (It was buried in the brush and my binos are junk.) At this point, it was 45 minutes after the shot and I was 200 yards from impact, so I backed out.

I gave her two hours before heading back out with my dad and the flashlights to track her. It was a slow process as the blood was very sparse after the two pools of blood I found earlier. Both pools resembled muscle blood more than anything else, so my gut was already starting to twist. As she bobbed and weaved through the nasty mess of briars and thicket, we were on hands and knees at times crawling after her searching for drops and specs of blood. After another 200 yards, we found a bed with a much smaller pool of blood, some spit, and some watery blood. The edge of the bright red blood was drying up, so I knew it had been a while since she was in that bed. My past tracking experience told me it was now best to keep her moving so she would continue to bleed and hope that I did enough damage for her to bleed out if we kept her moving.

It took us nearly two hours to travel close to a mile before we started to consider backing out until the morning. As we were discussing what to do, we jumped a single deer 50 yards ahead of last blood and it sounded like her. I know the snort of this doe as she has a much longer, chestier snort than most does I have heard. Not to mention I have heard it more than I can to say!!! I am nearly 100% positive it was her and by the time we turned to leave, she had put another 100-150 yards between us. My attempts to locate her on Sunday were futile at best. Total, we tracked her for 3 hours and a distance of 5,000+ feet according to Google Earth. I am fairly confident in saying she will survive our encounter only to bust me another day.

I have played the shot over and over in my head, and combined with the results, I have come to one conclusion. In my opinion, when she dropped and threw that shoulder back, it caused the arrow to exit forward of her offside shoulder, missing vitals and doing no more damage than making for some sore muscles. The shot was a bit forward and may have missed the front of her lungs an inch or two, but was not forward enough to impact the shoulder. The angle should have resulted in at least the backside of her lungs taking a hit, yet they obviously did not given the time we allowed her to expire and the distance she traveled. Not to mention the spit in her bed did not have any blood in it, indicating her lungs where fine. It seems like such a fluke for this to happen, but I honestly cannot come up with another explanation. Funny things happen in the whitetail woods and this is just one more reminder of that the old mantra of “what can go wrong, will go wrong” never rings as true as it does with bowhunting.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Jesse, I'm sure you know my doe story with the "unbelievable part'. That is precisely where I hit her. Found her the next morning around 11 and she was still alive... The angle isn't the same, but the impact point is. The arrow came out of her almost exactly at the same point it entered on the opposite side. Never found a drop of blood. Stay away from the shoulder next time, you'll like the results much better.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
In all honesty there is no way to make a better shot. You can only hope to impact where it will kill them. I aim "behind the shouder" every time, but sometimes the results just seem like you hit a hollow spot. It happens....

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I know I hit where I was aiming, so the fault is more in the point of aim than anything. Perhaps I was being a little TOO cute with my shot placement and should just shoot for the middle of the chest from now on instead of placing it in the 11 ring...

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I wondernif you hit the front shoulder ridge and it deflected forward

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia

The blades on the Slick Trick appeared to be unharmed. So it either another endorsement for their toughness, or I didn't hit anything squared enough to damage them. One thing is for sure, that arrow BLEW through her like a knife in hot butter...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I know crazy shit happens, but I don't understand how you could possibly hit her where that yellow dot is and the arrow exit in front of the opposite shoulder. I don't see how you could NOT hit lungs if the arrow entered where the yellow dot is. And I don't see why you would want to hit her 2" further back either???... that should have been perfect placement for that angle IMO. 2" further back and you risk missing lungs altogether and hitting only liver.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The doe I referenced was the same way, Jesse. I knew I hit her where I aimed. She just didn't act like a deer on a death run. She stopped after 100 yards, looked back at me for several minutes and walked into the woods. I had NO blood on the ground though, so I went back the next day with my beagle and found her a hundred or so yards from where I last saw her. The difference in our scenerios is that I didn't track her. Coyotes were not much of an issue back then, so leaving one lay was standard. I guarantee if I'd gone looking, she'd have left me scratching my head too.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
BTW, that big sucker Sean lost up at my place a couple years ago was hit the same way...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I know crazy shit happens, but I don't understand how you could possibly hit her where that yellow dot is and the arrow exit in front of the opposite shoulder.

Well know that I wouldn't bullshit you, so that yellow dot is a close to where I see it impacting in the replay in my head as I can get it. Also, she aggressively threw that front shoulder back and the impact of the arrow knocked her back, while she also spun away from me. My thought was as that front shoulder came back and she whirled away, her shoulder was pushing on the middle to back half of the shaft, redirected the course of the arrow.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member

I was wondering the same thing. Or maybe it deflected back and you had a gut shot deer that needed more time. Just a guess. However, I doubt a ST deflected anywhere.

Don't let it eat at you too much. We've all been there and we all know the feeling. It sucks to say the least. You gave her a fair track job and there was nothing else you could do at that point. It's the bad part of what we do, but it happens.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I was wondering the same thing. Or maybe it deflected back and you had a gut shot deer that needed more time. Just a guess. However, I doubt a ST deflected anywhere.

Don't let it eat at you too much. We've all been there and we all know the feeling. It sucks to say the least. You gave her a fair track job and there was nothing else you could do at that point. It's the bad part of what we do, but it happens.

I agree with Mike, nothing you can do now but move on. Sounds like you gave it a hell of an effort, and that is all you can do at this point. Saddle back up when you are ready and get after it!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
If I can find and scan a pic of that doe I will post it... You will see, it's really close to that dot, also what most would call the 11 ring! That doe was shot THROUGH the top of both lungs, and was still alive at 1030-1100 the next morning! I don't mean a nick in the lungs, shot through with a Thunderhead. The forward part of the lungs slope downward like the end of a football, I swear to God above you can shoot 'em through that forward slope on the top side and not have an instantly fatal shot. Lungs are not balloons, regardless of what we'd all like to believe.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Well know that I wouldn't bullshit you, so that yellow dot is a close to where I see it impacting in the replay in my head as I can get it. Also, she aggressively threw that front shoulder back and the impact of the arrow knocked her back, while she also spun away from me. My thought was as that front shoulder came back and she whirled away, her shoulder was pushing on the middle to back half of the shaft, redirected the course of the arrow.

I know what you're saying, but I think that's a much less likely scenario than hitting the front edge of the shoulder and it deflecting the arrow forward. I mean, think about it for a second. That arrow, moving at around 260-280 fps, made a 30 or 40 degree turn in just 8 or 10 inches of travel, simply from the leg pressing against the arrow and her spinning at the same time??? Plus, I would think it'd be difficult for a broadhead to move laterally while passing through the chest cavity at that rate of speed. To me, it'd be more likely that it was deflecteve near the "surface" of the animal, altering the arrow's path right at impact... not during the arrow's penetration.

I don't doubt you at all in what your mind is telling you. I just know how fast shit happens, and how easily a mind can be fooled in the heat of the moment. I think hitting the front of the shoulder also supports her reaction in throwing that leg backwards at impact.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The forward part of the lungs slope downward like the end of a football, I swear to God above you can shoot 'em through that forward slope on the top side and not have an instantly fatal shot. Lungs are not balloons, regardless of what we'd all like to believe.

Very true statement.

As for guts, the arrow in no way whatsoever indicated a hit to the guts. It did not smell like guts, and was clear of any residue which indicated guts to me...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I hear what you are saying JB and honestly, my scenario doesn't make much "sense" to me either. I could see it catching the front edge of the shoulder and deflecting down/forward as well. All I know is when I watched those white fletchings bury behind the shoulder, I never though anything but "dead deer". Boy was I wrong...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I know what you're saying, but I think that's a much less likely scenario than hitting the front edge of the shoulder and it deflecting the arrow forward. I mean, think about it for a second. That arrow, moving at around 260-280 fps, made a 30 or 40 degree turn in just 8 or 10 inches of travel, simply from the leg pressing against the arrow and her spinning at the same time??? Plus, I would think it'd be difficult for a broadhead to move laterally while passing through the chest cavity at that rate of speed. To me, it'd be more likely that it was deflecteve near the "surface" of the animal, altering the arrow's path right at impact... not during the arrow's penetration.

I don't doubt you at all in what your mind is telling you. I just know how fast shit happens, and how easily a mind can be fooled in the heat of the moment. I think hitting the front of the shoulder also supports her reaction in throwing that leg backwards at impact.

And even if it did make that turn, the arrow would still centerpunch both lungs if it entered behind the shoulder where that yellow dot is. Just my opinion of course.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
If I'm sounding like an asshole or a dick, I apologize as that's not my intention. I've been in your shoes too, just like damn near every other serious bowhunter out there... I know how much it sucks. And I know how nothing makes sense when something like this happens. The thing is, without having it on film, you really can't be 100% sure of what exactly happened. There's been plenty of times where I've shot a deer, recovered or not, and the point of impact was not exactly where I originally thought it was. It just happens too damn fast for you eyes and brain to process...

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I hear what you are saying JB and honestly, my scenario doesn't make much "sense" to me either. I could see it catching the front edge of the shoulder and deflecting down/forward as well. All I know is when I watched those white fletchings bury behind the shoulder, I never though anything but "dead deer". Boy was I wrong...

I felt the exact way Jesse. That night I even called my bowhunting mentor. The guy had killed most everything with a bow back in the 80's, and I took everything he said as Gospel. We went through every scenerio, "arrow deflected, didn't see what I saw", all that crap. The next day when I recovered that deer, I called him and told him what I found. He didn't believe me either. Showed him the pics later, didn't believe she was still alive when I found her. Doesn't matter, I learned my lesson, but it's hard to convince others that there is something to be concerned with on a "perfect" shot.