Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

question for all the black rifle guys!!

Derek j

Knox Co.
Ok, first the story: I bought a Smith and Wesson 1012 autoloader last year for duck season. I used it for dove and clays....no problems. As soon as it got magnum steel shot through it, it started jamming and only cycling one shell. Long story short, I sent it back to SW a few weeks ago (cheap metal on the trigger assembly mushroomed out from the force of receiver coming back). They stopped making these guns after only a year and a half production. I had heard they were doing a silent recall on them, so I sent it to their shop. I got the call tonight that it is not repairable (go figure), and that they are replacing it. This is where it gets trivial for me.......They are replacing it with an M&P 15 sport!

Now obviously this will not be a good replacement for duck hunting, but I have been wanting to get an AR style gun for awhile. I usually bought a different gun when I got to the shop. So does anyone have any info on this gun? Any known issues or gripes, likes or dislikes? I am also going to see if they have any other guns that they can replace it with, just to see if I have options. Anybody have some info or advice for me??

By the way......So far I am very happy with their customer service, and also the replacing of a defective product. Most companies would just say "tough shit" and hope you leave them alone. So far they have been a stand up company!

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I've looked at them. The ones I looked at didn't have a dust cover or the forward assist. Not a big deal IMHO. Other then that they seemed like good rifles.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'd be half pissed, have stoked if I were you. A man needs a duck gun, but we all want a good AR style rifle. I don't know much about those guns, but my uncle has one and he loves it.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Great entry level rifle. Sam is correct that there is no forward assist or dust cover. I never use the forward assist but do use a dust cover while hunting.

They go for about $650 new or $500 used. They are my first recommendation for an entry level gun. They are known for spreading the black rifle plague...soon others will join it ;)

Accuracy is standard. Don't expect a 1" @ 100 group. They are reliable and field accurate. Also makes for a fine plinker for the family since it has very little recoil.

Derek j

Knox Co.
I'd be half pissed, have stoked if I were you. A man needs a duck gun, but we all want a good AR style rifle. I don't know much about those guns, but my uncle has one and he loves it.

I was in a way. I still have my supernova, but I want an auto loader for my main gun. So I am fixing that problem by getting an SBE II tomorrow!!! Heading to the fin to get it and my 17HMR. I figure the M&P will be a fine addition to my arsenal!! Now I am definitely going to get a reloader for rifle and handgun.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Nice! They seem to be a pretty popular AR, and you can't beat the price they are running on them these days. I'm sure you will be happy with it!

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Throw a tantrum and tell 'em you want the straight-up m&P15 (the $1000 one), not the "sporter", even though the sporter looks great.
They might upgrade you just to shut you up.

The Sport is a nice AR. The lack of a Forward assist isnt a big deal. The military even took the forward assist a step of the malfunction drill out of the manuals. Now its just Roll the rifle so the ejection port faces the ground, Tap the mag, Rack the bolt (RTR). SPORTS is gone.

woodyw333

Cincinnati Oh
I have wanted an AR since the day I got out of the Army but never got one.. One day soon it will happen.. Have fun with it they are a blast!