Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hunter's Eventful Weekend...

hunna771

As you may have read, i got my stands stolen from my spot. So i built a ground blind with some brush and sat in it opening morning. There's one spot on it where i can't get my Recurve at and pull back. Guess where the big doe and her 2 fawns showed up from? Yep, you got it. I tried turning to get a shot, but the ole doe spotted me. She couldn't figure out what i was and she got within 10 yards, and all i could do was watch. She took off along with her fawns. Saturday i hung new stands at this location and didn't see anything that night. Sunday morning i decided to sit in that stand and a doe came in, alone. She was on the side i couldn't shoot out of again, of course. I started my video camera, and started climbing. The pine tree i was in was perfect. I climbed around to the other side, she had no idea i was there. Soon as i was ready, she started walking to the other side. I mouth bleated her, drew back, and let my cedar shaft fly. She was somewhat quartering towards me, and it went in the right side of her brisket. The distance from my stand, and the angle she was at, it was a bad shot, i'll admit it. I shot about 2 inches lower than i should have. We gave her about an 1 1/2 hours. My dad, Zak and i went and looked. No blood, no hair, and only 7 inches of my arrow, with no blood on it. SOB. Way to start the season. :smiley_blackeye::smiley_boos:

I decided to shake it off, and hunt Sunday evening at my best spot. I've seen over 10 different bucks, and 4 does with their fawns. I saw close to 25 different squirrels. I practice without the quiver on my bow, and i hunt without it. I packed up my camera, mount, etc and even put the quiver on my bow. I was getting ready to climb down when a doe came into my small food plot. I shoot low with my quiver, so i aimed high. I shot about 1 inch over her back. She ran 10 yds. My target buck stepped into my path, i nocked another arrow and shot high, again. Now, earlier i dropped my last arrow with a broadhead. More deer were coming in, all the while i have my backpack on. 2 bucks were also fighting in the bean field. I literally climbed down, grabbed my arrow i dropped, and shot again at the target buck(Mohawk). Low. After that last shot that all took off into the field. I grabbed the 2 arrows by my bait and got outta there. I gotta get my other arrow after school today. I work tonight, and promised a buddy i'd hunt our spot with him Tuesday. Hopefully i can get back out there wednesday, unless you guys think its TOO soon... Congrats to everyone else that got one, or had some action!!! :smiley_depressive::smiley_coolpeace:

My attempt at showing you my angle...
images (1).jpg

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That sucks, man. Keep at it, though... There'll be plenty of opportunities in your future I'm sure.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Main thing is too learn from what happened this weekend and it will make you a better deer hunter.... We've all been there just gotta try and limit the cassulties that's all..... Now get back out there and put one on the ground.... :smiley_coolpeace:

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Hunter its tough as heck with a stickbow so keep your head up and keep practicing. Take that bow quiver and throw it away and get you a cat quiver. It willl keep your fletchings dry and you wont be tempted to put that other one on.

hunna771

Hunter its tough as heck with a stickbow so keep your head up and keep practicing. Take that bow quiver and throw it away and get you a cat quiver. It willl keep your fletchings dry and you wont be tempted to put that other one on.

I have been looking at those, my dad has an old one i think. I'll start using it.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sounds eventful, yet frustrating. Keep your chin up! Think of it this way, you definitely know how to get yourself into the deer!

LonewolfNopack

The woods
Keep practicing and sounds like you are set to get one. And I guess I will be the one to say it, a deer facing you is never a good shot to take with a bow and arrow. We as hunters have to be as ethical as possible, and that means only choosing the highest percentage shots. There is just to many bad things that can happen shooting at them while they are facing you, as you found out the hard way. Even if you hit where you were aiming, it would have been a bad shot. Keep at it and choose only high percentage ( broadside, quartering away ) shots, and I think you will get one in your hands before long. Good luck!

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Wow! I've got my heart beating on that hunt. Sounds as though you were ate up with deer on that hunt. Sounds as though you got a little excited, and maybe thats what lead too you not closing the deal. I know that I myself have blown good opportunities as well. Good luck and drill him next time.