Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

When do you get in the stand?

1hornwilly

*Supporting Member III*
I try to be in the tree an hour before sunrise in the morning...in the evening at least a couple hours before sunset. I'm sure we got a thread around here somewhere with thoughts on this, but I can't find it. Hell, I might have even made the thread...

Anyway, I'd love to hear some thoughts on why you get in the stand when you do and how important you feel it is to be in early or late or just depends on the stand. Obviously everyone wants to be on stand when the woods are waking up, but how early is normal? 2 hr? 1 hr? 30 min?

Just was thinking about it this morning as I was running a little late and only saw one doe. Could have been the bright moon, but I wonder if I bumped them out of that are as I was walking in??? I normally see 10 deer at this spot, so it just got me thinkin. well?

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
In the morning's I like to be in the stand, set up and sitting down with about a half hour before light. In the evenings, it depends on temperature/rain.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
It depends on the spot. Before cameras I always tried at least 30 minutes before daybreak.

Last year one spot showed a ton of activity at 5am. The morning I killed mine I got in before that and sat in the dark forever listening to them walk around on the frosty leaves. It was kind of cool but frustrating not seeing what the heck was going on.

Gun season, I usually wait until daybreak and still hunt my way in just in case I walk up on one. I hate blowing stuff out and not seeing what it was.

So, bow usually 30 minutes. Gun, I'm walking in when I can see.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
An hour before legal shooting time in the mornings. In the evenings, I like 2 hours before sunset, but depending on the stand, I might leave that at an hour and a half (can't stand to sit longer) or even go in earlier if I know they are moving early that day, but 2 hours is about right for me.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
How early I go in for a morning hunt varies depending on where I'm at property wise and what stand I want to hunt. At my parents place, I can bank on not seeing deer until 8:30 at the earliest. Same goes for our farm as deer tend to be late movers there. Most of the time, I get to my stand about the time light is cracking and I'm hunt ready by shooting light. I've hunted these places long enough to know going in super early does nothing but add seat time and it is of no real benefit.

For evening hunts, I like to be on stand 2.5-3 hours before dark depending on the temps and how much time I have to hunt. I rarely go out unless I have at least 2 hours to hunt.

When I sit all day, I go in around 7:30-8 as I'm banking on 9-12 being the best action. It also allows me to get a little extra sleep and to get fully prepared for the long day ahead.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Like cotty said, for me it also depends on the spot, and also on the moon phase. I absolutely HATE bumping deer on the way in in the mornings... So if that's ever a risk for a particular spot, I'll go in at least an hour before sunrise, sometimes even earlier. It sucks waiting that long for the sun to come up, but it's usually worth the extra effort. Afternoon hunts are a crap shoot. Sometimes the deer come in right at sunset, sometimes they come in at 4 oclock. This time of year I'm usually in the stand by 4:30 for an afternoon hunt.

Schu72

Streetsboro
The particular spot I'm hunt can impact the time, but as a general rule I want to be in my stand and settled in a minimum of 30 minutes before legal shooting time. Evening hunts change a good bit as the days shorten and the time change takes place. I like to get 4 hours of stand time, but if I'm hunting after work that's not always possible.

Most of the time it's my goal to be in stand no less than 1 hour before sunrise if hunting in the AM. Most of my spots are near bedding areas and it is my goal to always beat them there. One stand in particular it will be my goal to be there closer to 2 hours before light. Sure it adds seat time but hey, there have been times where going in at light or even 1/2 hour before where I have bumped them out. All in learning what they do and when they do it. In Ohio I always plan to hunt all day, even if I have to make a move in the afternoon. If I do end up moving to a different stand I try to do it between 1-2 PM and be there til dark.

buckbuster217

*Supporting Member*
Byesville, Ohio
Usually in the morning I try to be in the stand at least an hour before daylight, I'm like Phil, I hate bumping deer going in, I try to get to an evening stand as soon as can, usually after work I try to be in there by 3:30 or if a weekend by 2, you never know when they will be moving in my area in the afternoons.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Half an hour before shooting light or less. Rather be able to see than walk with a light. Also like others have said it depends on the spot.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Like others said, it depends on the spot. On average, I would say Im in stand 20 minutes before shooting light. I do like the times though when I'm in there 45 minutes before shooting light, and can just sit back, relax and wait for the sun to come up. Nothing like sitting in the dark 20ft up and hearing twigs crack and deer coming your way!

buckstar25

T-county
On our property, since it is so close to feeding area and in between bedding areas the deer are in our section very early. I leave our cabin as early as 2 hours before legal time. My thinking is pretty simple, get to my stand before they do, my younger days I would run into the woods a half hour before legal time an listen as the deer ran over the hill. If I get in 2 hours early, the deer do their normal thing and usually end up hanging around just long enough to get a shot. I have no choice really except during the rut, then it's all bets are off cause at any given time the deer will move through our property. 99.9% of the time if I am under an hour before I end up running deer out. I usually sit all day so I don't really have a set time on afternoon hunts, in the cases I do hunt just evenings I give myself at least 3 hrs.

Full Moon and new moon are my favorite times to sit an listen. New moon, man I've heard sounds that make me wanna call my mom! I love it, it gives new meaning to waking up with the woods. I always sai I wanna stay in a stand all night just to see what it would be like, have yet to do it but I think it would be cool.....

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I'm usually in a half hour before daylight on most hunts. Evening hunts I like to give myself at least a 2-2.5 hour hunt, if not I usually don't head out.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Read an interesting article in Bowhunter mag latest issue about thermals. They recommend no more than 2 hours before dark on an evening hunt to avoid too much scent sinking to the bottoms with the cooler air.
I'll see if I can find a link to the story. It all made sense.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Read an interesting article in Bowhunter mag latest issue about thermals. They recommend no more than 2 hours before dark on an evening hunt to avoid too much scent sinking to the bottoms with the cooler air.
I'll see if I can find a link to the story. It all made sense.

Makes sense to me. The only issue is, what if the deer are coming through 2 hours before dark? Again, I think it all just depends on the area and the patterns of deer movement.