Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Plots are looking good!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Finally snapped a couple pics of the plots yesterday to update and show some growth. I really think the cultipacker makes all the difference. Granted, we've had perfect weather since planting... but this is the first year with the cultipacker, and this is the best these have looked in 3 years.

This one is a little behind the other one for some reason. Not sure if it's getting browsed harder or what. The oats and rye are 4-6", the peas are popping, the radishes are starting to take off, and a carpet of clover awaits underneath.

This plot is growing very well... much thicker than the other. Also, the radishes and peas are coming in thicker and taller. I'm really anxious to see how it looks in another week or two. Btw, the oats and rye are getting browsed HARD! Damn near every blade has been nipped by the deer. It looks like somebody hit it with a lawnmower.

Oh, and that back left corner is a carpet of white oak acorns right now... :smiley_bril:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good stuff JB! Better than my showing. I will probably be forced to frost seed it in Feb-Mar.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nice work JB! It was generally a good fall for plots and yours definitely show that. Hope the work pays off!!!

Absolutely. I was really shocked that I didn't see any bucks all day yesterday. I mean, the bucks don't usually come into the plots much before the rut, but with all the acorns falling I thought I should've seen something. Neither one of my cams showed anything to get excited about either. The only bucks on cam were a couple 1.5 yr old dinks. I sure hope EHD didn't lay claim down in Carroll County this year...

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
Nice work! They look great. With all the deer down in Carroll county, I'm sure they won't allow them to get much higher. I have the same problem with my plots south of you.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nice work! They look great. With all the deer down in Carroll county, I'm sure they won't allow them to get much higher. I have the same problem with my plots south of you.

I hear that! At first I was disappointed that they were so short, but once I knelt down and looked closer I found out why. The deer are really hammering these plots. I only killed one down on this property last season, and it's showing... the deer seem to be thick this year. I really wish I would've put up a small exclusion cage so I could have measured the browsing.