Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The Bobsy Twins

Huckleberry Finn

I had a first time experience this afternoon that was pretty dang cool, but in long-term thinking, probably not the best...

I'm behind in my season prep for no reason other than laziness, so this afternoon I ran out to hang a set of sticks on the backside of a property I've always hunted. I have access to the woods across a property that I haven't before, so it likely will turn the property into 2...much more easier to hunt the "front" and the "back". I had a general idea where I wanted to go and saw some great sign, but hemmed and hawed like my middle name was "Phil" for about half an hour, walking around looking at trees. I'm not planning on hunting this set for several weeks, so I was just wearing jeans and a camo tshirt. I finally pick a tree, carry my sticks over, and start unbundling them. I look up, and there's a deer.

"You stupid button buck, why would you come over here now?! It's the opening day of bow season, I don't have my bow....hey! Buddy....slow down...."

The little bugger kept walking towards me. I bleated him at 10 yards and then he thought I was his momma...I finally got him to spin around and slowly take off...only to come back with his twin sister!

bobsy twins.jpg

It took me about minutes of "murp!" and stomping my foot to get these buggers to run off. They just wouldn't leave, and I didn't know what to do!

I'm sure that I was between them and Momma. Honest to goodness, might have been the first person those deer have ever seen. I know that seems weird since deer ought not to see someone camo-ed up in a tree, but unfortunately I gave them a heck of an education on humans. They weren't scared of my scent at all, as they were downwind. I'm sure that experience is going to go into their memory bank. I hung the sticks anyways...

And, gotta admit, had I had my bow and if wasn't 70 degrees out, I would have laid the doe low...never have had the chance to shoot one on the ground before and she look damn tender! Both pretty skinny but she was long...who cares if they are young and dumb?! The Bobsy twins will be getting a pass this season otherwise though

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Always a fun day when when you up close and personal with them steve lol... you think maybe mama got taken out and they were lost without her?

Last edited: