Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Redcloud's 12/13 hunting log

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Morning hunt -0
Evening hunt -1
Deer seen -0
Fox squirrel's -1
Red squirrel's -2
Chipmunk's -2

Seen more leaves then anything lol.
Got in the stand around 3pm and sat there with the thought of " they could show up at anytime " but they never did lol. Checked my cam near the new stand and found it was dead only a couple days after the last card swap so it pretty much just hung on the tree doing nothing the last week and a half. Sucks. I did capture a short video of the big 10 during daylight hours and seen the big 8 again (still not impressed with how he turned out) Right now the big 8 is still the #2 buck and the big 10 is the #1 shooter unless something else appears.

Big 10
[video=youtube;AD5YBKcPfAc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD5YBKcPfAc&list=UUupWLBS53K9R-N7e9kCsO8Q&index=1&feature=plcp[/video]

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Morning hunt -1
Evening hunt -1
Deer seen -4
Does -3
Bucks -1
Fox squirrel's -4
Red squirrel's -3
Chipmunk's -2
Mink -2

With the full moon out bright as could be this morning I ended up blowing 3 doe and a small rack buck out of the pasture this morning on my way into the new stand. Didn't see any other deer all morning.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Well, that sucks. At least you weren't done on your first sit or two this year. lol

Didn't you tag on the first day last year? If not, sure seems like it was early.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
It'll pick up man, Interesting how how both bucks came through at different times, from different directions, but both went the same way.

The crops are killing it. As soon as they come off it should heat up down there. Going to sit the old stand this evening and crack a doe ;)

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Went out this evening and seen NOTHIN at all. The wind was blowing about 20 right out of the NNW and for the old pasture stand should have been a great wind but, I think the deer was just waiting to come out after dark and use the bright full moon to feed.

I'm not going out in the morning but will be hitting it again for the evening hunt. Starting Tuesday-Friday will be morning and evening hunts and repeat Sunday and Monday.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Keep at it Adam, they will come!

I know, I was just wanting to close the deal before the rut lol. I think the new stand will come into it's own in a couple weeks as soon as the farmer takes the last of the beans and the dried cornfield off forcing the deer back into the woods. Most of the white oaks have dropped and pretty much all picked up over the last couple weeks. The apple trees dropped the apples about a month ago so none of those out there anymore. I might have to move that pasture stand in a couple weeks and add the stands I'm getting from you and should be good to go just about anywhere on the property lol.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Went out yesterday evening and kicked up the same 3 doe I did the other morning. They are coming out of the coen and crossing a tractor path and bedding on the south facing hillside in a small strip of woods. No way to get to them as they are in there before sunrise and spend all day in there. With the river being as high as it is I can't cross and keep from spooking them out of this little woods as it's the only way into my stands. Seen nothing yesterday evening from the stand.

Going to try the high winds this evening and try the new stand down in the bottom.

Right Now

Updated: Oct 3, 2012, 1:05pm EDT

WIND From

SSW
16mph

78%
HUMIDITY

54°
DEW POINT

10.0 mi
Visibility

30.08 in ^
Pressure

2 - Low
UV Index

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Seen no deer from the stand tonight. I did see a young Jake and heard a couple hens. Not the norm for my hunting area so that was the highlight of the evening. I did happen to get some fresh batteries in the cams. These deer are killing me. They are either in the pasture before sunrise or after shooting light and keep bumping them going in or out but since they are there before I get there I have no clue where they are coming out as I see them in different spots in the field each time. I can only say they are NOT going past me while on stand lol.

As soon as the corn is cut and temps drop I think things will change for the better. Going to hit it again in the morning.

The new stand and where I sat tonight

North

South

East

West

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Here are the views from my Pasture stand and a few of you might remember from last year.

North

South

East

West

The East view is where the deer are coming out of a small open section of the woods and feeding on a white oak. This is also the direction my buck from last year came from.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Those views look great Adam! It will get better soon. Goodluck on your next sit and thank for sharing.

Thanks Ric.

I think I am skipping today. Just a little too warm I think. Who knows lol. I will be out for sure Friday since it is going to be much cooler and overcast. Work Saturday and hit it again Sunday and Monday.