Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Gordo's 2012-2013 Hunting Log

Gordo

Athens County
Let the games begin! :pickle:

First priority: have my old man fill his buck tag first week of season.

The pops rolls in from up north at about 11am tomorrow morning. He'd be here now but had a wedding to go to today. He tried to get out of it but mom wasn't having it. If mama ain't happy, nobody happy.

I'll be trying to set him up on 'double d', a perfect 10 point that I've been watching closely all summer and is still on his summer pattern.

The plan for tomorrow is to get him settled in by 2pm at the latest, and then hope all the pieces fall in place. Depending on how the evening hunt goes will dictate where I'll put him Monday morning.

There's another buck that is still locked into his summer pattern on another property that's more suitable for morning hunts, so that may be the choice for monday A.M.

I have no specific plan for myself, but will be putting in a evening sit one of these evenings at one of my new properties. Some backstraps are sounding good so I may try to whack a doe and chalk up my first kill with the new bow.

Man I love this time of year!

Gordo

Athens County
Well there was no shortage of deer sightings for him, but 'double d' didnt show face. He was covered in deer for most of the hunt.

My dad said a big bodied deer came through right at dark but he couldnt make out any details.

Tomorrow i'll b setting him up at a different property going after the 'bonnie buck'(wide 8 with the squiggle brow tine). If all goes as planned he'll b on stand about 5:30am, and ill b pickin him up sometime around noon when i can get away from work. If no luck in the a.m., he'll be back in the stand he hunted this evening.

He said he had a great time out there deer watchin tonight! Great way to get the season kicked off.

Time to get some rest

Gordo

Athens County
Well, busted a shit ton of deer outta there on our way in. My dad looked at me like id smoked to much crack when i started barking like a dog and running after them. Haha.

Plenty of time for the woods to settle down.

Hate morning hunts this time of year for that reason, but with his limited time we gotta go for it.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Interesting idea. Best of luck to your dad. Sounds like you are making his hunting stay a good one!

Gordo

Athens County
Well tonight will be my first hunt. I'm really looking forward to it.

I'll be hunting a new property for the first time looking for the triple brow buck.

My stand is hung dangerously close to the main bedding area, right on the fringe where the deer have been exiting to go hit the acorns. It's a great funnel. I'm confident I'll see some action, just hoping the big boy shows face!

Either way its going to feel great to b in the woods with bow in hand.

Gordo

Athens County
Well it was a good first sit.

Got settled in a little later then expected but didn't bump anything on my way in.

Had a doe and her button buck follow script and come right through the little pinch point at about 20 yards. They where takin their good old time, so i got to watch them for a bit. This was my first time I having my zees binocs up in stand and it was fuggin awesome.

Then about 30 minutes before shooting light ended A nice up and comer buck came right on by. He didn't work the script and instead of staying below me, cut up behind my stand. That put him at about 10 yards, almost dead even with me in height. He didn't spook one bit and just kept heading up the hill.

Great first sit for the year and for a property I've never hunted!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Glad you finally had a chance to get out! Sounds like a great hunt TOO! Goodluck this season and looking forward to following your hunting season.

Gordo

Athens County
Damn i am in a pickle. Old 'double d ', the tenpoint ive been watching for months is very killable right now and he's a heck of a deer. I was hoping my dad would kill him to avoid this situation!

Ive said for a while that id pass on him. My goal for the year is 140+ and mature. I dont think he fits either. But man, he'd be my biggest yet and would look great on the wall.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349880440.689212.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349880466.391348.jpg