Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Overall impressions and thoughts on opening day

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Let's hear it guys and gal. What are you seeing? How are the deer reacting? How are the sightings? Give us an overall rundown of your thoughts on opening day.

Here is what I saw. Took daughter to volleyball games. Drove past truck parked on the north end of a wood lot (with N winds) in an area I have never seen anyone hunting. Saw a car parked illegally with hunting gear in the passenger seat along the railroad tracks. I would imagine that hunter snuck into the back side of where I "would" have hunted IF the winds were right. At the volleyball game I saw hunters walking in with full camo and rubber boots to the concession stand. My overall impression is there were plenty of trucks and hunters out there. I witnessed what I see as "cardinal sins of bowhunting" broken. i.e. Hunting the wrong winds and wandering around in public with gear which I personally reserve for the woods only. I guess my impression is I need to take notes on the other hunters and hunt around them hoping they bump deer to me.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Im going out tonight with intentions of hunting around other hunters myself. Plan on them to blow the deer out of the small woodlot and down a secluded creek where im already setup. Have two indiana hunters in town with me right now, one got skunked and the other saw a 130" and a doe. Hopefully tonight produces a little better.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Bout the same as last year, saw a couple does, no other hunters in the woods. Couple guys in camo at the gas station headed home after the morning sit.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
We saw nothing this morning. I'll be ghillie hunting on the ground this evening. Hoping to see that 8 pt. come out of the corn before dark.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
This was probably one of the best openers I have had next to the opener when Austin bagged his big doe, I don't think anything will top that.

Got to spend the morning with my long lost hunting buddy. We saw four deer. The afternoon was spent on a new property with my nephew. I saw a nice 2 1/2 year old 8 pointer and he saw one that was hiding over the ridge from him and all he could see was bone sticking up over the knoll.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I didn't head for the woods today, but I would have loved to have been on stand this morning. I saw around a dozen deer on the way home, and almost made one a hood ornament. Had three does and two fawns feeding in the field next to the house this morning, and I'm pretty sure I could have cut them off on their way back to the woods this morning, but was too tired to give it a try!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I saw quite a few deer today. No bucks, but lots of does and fawns. IMO this was some of the best opening day weather we've had in a long time and it definitely showed.

The deer are pounding the acorns right now. Find a dropping white oak, and you'll see some deer...

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
Saw alot on the roadside on the way back from my cabin. Slowed waaaay down to watch a young buck on his hind legs chewin a branch and making a scrape. Always cool to see that.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
No pics? Dang...

uploadfromtaptalk1348977322153.jpguploadfromtaptalk1348977344450.jpg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Despite the bad ending to my day, it was a great day. I saw 7 deer in 3.5 hours on stand and nearly fulfilled my mission for the night. It was the best opener since my stare down with Crazy Rack and one of the best ever.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Got skunked this evening but enjoyed just being in a treestand taking it all in. I didn't get out my driveway this afternoon till 4:15 due mostly family obligations but was still at my tree before 4:45. If wind continues out of a northerly direction I'll be in the same tree, if not, I have several others I can pick.

Saw several hunters out and about on our way to my daughters volleyball game and the weather was beautiful. It's a long season and can only get better.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Saw plenty of deer yesterday. And plenty of hunters out and about too. With the crops off early they came out the woodwork for opening day.

buckbuster217

*Supporting Member*
Byesville, Ohio
Only got to hunt the morning but seen 6 doe all together, 2 within range, decided not to shoot due to there is a nice buck frequenting this area in the mornings, didnt get to hunt the afternoon because we had to go to a soup bean cookout, the beans and cornbread were great!! cant get them any better cooked over a fire in a big hanging pot. Didnt see very many hunters out, but did see one fellow at the gas station fillin upin his camos!!!! lol

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Mine was slow but at least the morning hunt wasn't a bust, evening hunt was a bust.... But was entertained most of the afternoon/evening by all the other creatures and texts..... Oh and checking in on the site every now and then..... :smiley_coolpeace:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I didn't see any other hunters on the way to or from the property I hunted today. In all fairness, I wasn't far from home so not much chance of seeing them unless they beat me in the woods.

Hunted a stand I expected the deer to use as an alternate route from the other hunters to my south and west. Saw nothing until 830. Had a button buck and young doe running my way. Seemed odd and I thought maybe a coyote or maybe another hunter getting in late. Couple minutes later I saw a 120ish 8pt with a basket 8pt in tow. They might have pushed the first 2 deer out of their food source or maybe a bigger buck pushed all 4 out. I don't know. Just seemed weird. Certainly can't be chasing already. Minute or so later I had a forkhorn follow the other two bucks. 3 of the deer within spitting distance, the basket 8pt was at 20yds and the nice 8pt was 25yds and broadside. He truly was tough to pass on. Darn nice deer.