Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Arrow flight

Schu72

Streetsboro
I was out shooting a few minutes ago and my arrows looks like the are "corkscrewing" in flight. My groups were real good, but the arrow flight looked weird. In my back yard I'm facing/shooting due south and the sun is to my right (west). Could the sunlight hitting the one side of my arrow as it's rotating give it that appearance or do I have a problem???

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
What Jesse said is a good idea, and yes sunlight hitting the "off" colored fletching can make it appear to wobble. Fletching contact is usually the culptrit with a wobbling arrow.

Schu72

Streetsboro
My bow was just at Milo's this summer and I didn't notice it at the bowshoot or any other time since. I'll either try the powder or shoot a few more after the sun is down.

Schu72

Streetsboro
No...two orange/red and one white. Tried the powder and didn't see any residue. Only noticed maybe one wobble. Maybe it was the sun...maybe I'm just seeing things.:smiley_blackeye:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Doesn't matter which vane is where, it only matters that you are getting clearance. Sometimes with carbons, the nocks will turn a bit if they aren't glued in. I never glue them in so I can rotate them if I choose. I shoot trophy taker rests. Some of the pull cords have caused an issue if I don't place them correctly on the cable. I fixed that by switching to a lighter weight and more limber cord. Sometimes a wobbly arrow is hard to track down. Hopefully, you just have a good imagination and there won't be an further issues!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
If you are still having problems, post a picture from the nock looking forward, inline with the rest. Sometimes they issues are easy for others to see. (arrow on the string)

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
My arrows can be flying great for weeks, but let me shoot the day before season and I swear I can find something wrong that isn't there.

This exactly. Do your broadheads and field points have the same point of impact? If you have a hard helical in your arrows and you are really focused on your arrow flight, you can see them start to spin, at least in my experience, and they appear to me to corkscrew.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
My arrows can be flying great for weeks, but let me shoot the day before season and I swear I can find something wrong that isn't there.

Not the case for me this year. i was having issues a couple weeks ago, but shooting today was good.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Paper test the arrows if they're kicking in any direction the paper tear will show it..... If you're not sure how too do it google paper tuning a bow it'll give you some good pointers.....

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Lower light can make it appear to corkscrew. Also, peaking at the arrow can cause this especially if you shoot with one eye closed. Add in different color fletching...

Like Flutie said if your field tips and broadheads are hitting together don't worry about it.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
This exactly. Do your broadheads and field points have the same point of impact? If you have a hard helical in your arrows and you are really focused on your arrow flight, you can see them start to spin, at least in my experience, and they appear to me to corkscrew.

Lower light can make it appear to corkscrew. Also, peaking at the arrow can cause this especially if you shoot with one eye closed. Add in different color fletching...

Like Flutie said if your field tips and broadheads are hitting together don't worry about it.

Both of these ^^^

Schu72

Streetsboro
Put some broadheads on and shot this afternoon. They were money. I'm not going to mess with anything unless my accuracy starts to drop. I plan on getting a new string in the spring....maybe even a new bow since my truck will be paid off.:pickle:

Schu72

Streetsboro
I shot some more this evening. I wanted to move out and shoot a few groups at 40. Not too bad. The first 4 were TIGHT and the next two weren't bad. Not sure why I can't keep 6 in a group.

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Maybe concentrate on fewer arrows instead of 6 maybe 3 shot groups.... I may be wrong but 6 shot groups seem like a lot....