Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

tag out/ donate?

at1010

*Supporting Member*
How many of you all tag out on does?

Anyone ever donate deer to the hungry?

This year I would like to kill atleast 3 does, and I would like to donate one to the hungry. Of course these kills will be spread out throughout a lot of SE Ohio not all off one property.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I can put two deer in the freezer and can eat them in a year with no waste, actually end up running out before the season comes in. I don't think there has ever been a year where I was able to harvest more than two, that I can think of.

If I were harvest more than 2 in a given year, I would consider donating one to the FHFH program.

With the deer numbers in and around my area, I don't see that happening in the near future.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I can put two deer in the freezer and can eat them in a year with no waste, actually end up running out before the season comes in. I don't think there has ever been a year where I was able to harvest more than two, that I can think of.

If I were harvest more than 2 in a given year, I would consider donating one to the FHFH program.

With the deer numbers in and around my area, I don't see that happening in the near future.

I am fortunate this year to have a few small urban spots that are just loaded with deer, I mean 13 does in a sitting, plus another area I hunt that we were seeing a lot of does every night. So between two or three spots I hunt I shouldnt have a problem filling tags, plus I live with two big guys, probably go through three deer easily in a year.

Like most of us on this sight we have driven backroads, and know that some people need the help more then I do, so I would like to try to donate one this year given a chance.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I haven't donated anything in the past, but I've thought about it a time or two. I can usually go through 2 or 3 deer myself, and relatives usually will take another deer or two. Only problem is, I'm rarely lucky enough to harvest that many in one season.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
i usually only keep too deer thats what we eat in a year, i have an old man i use to work for that i give one too if i get a chance, last year i didnt get him one but i just took him some from my freezer a couple months ago. i just got into it with a buddy of mine last night he was saying he plans on being completly tagged out by the end of october. he lives by himself and cant eat that much cuz hes a truck driver and isnt home much, i asked if he would donate them and he didnt answer me so i ripped his ass about taking that many deer when theres no reason too. i think he got the point but who knows with him.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
We go through 3 deer a year pretty easily and I have a hard time justifying killing more than that. We also do not have a FHFH program within 45 minutes of my house, so donating deer is a bit of a pain. The days of just killing to kill are long gone for me thanks to the decline in deer numbers, or I will kill one or two a year just to donate. I've donated in the past and would love to do so when the deer numbers dictate it. However for now, I'll stick to killing my 1-2 a year and letting my wife add one to the mix. With a little one coming and more meals to be cooked at home, I'll need at least 3 deer in the freezer...

at1010

*Supporting Member*
We go through 3 deer a year pretty easily and I have a hard time justifying killing more than that. We also do not have a FHFH program within 45 minutes of my house, so donating deer is a bit of a pain. The days of just killing to kill are long gone for me thanks to the decline in deer numbers, or I will kill one or two a year just to donate. I've donated in the past and would love to do so when the deer numbers dictate it. However for now, I'll stick to killing my 1-2 a year and letting my wife add one to the mix. With a little one coming and more meals to be cooked at home, I'll need at least 3 deer in the freezer...

Yeah Jesse I agree with the numbers down it is hard to justify killing more then 3. I am just fortunate this year to have a few spots that are loaded up with does, probably just lucky to have come across them honestly.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member

Same deal for me. Luckily I aquired some property adjacent to our local scout camp that should be an endless supply of does at. Keeps me from killing anything but a buck in my core areas

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
I usually only donate the bucks I kill. I hardly ever shoot a doe, only when meat is low. With the herd numbers really low around here and not ever seeing a single deer every hunt, I cant justify it. This year I will probably kill a doe since I lost all my meat in the power outage a few months back. Having a FHFH within 15 mins of me makes it nice when it comes to donating my buck meat.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Yea for any of you in Athens area, I know wood road processing has a donate meat place, so if you want to donate one you can take it there. Not sure if you need to pay for that tho.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
When the kids were both at home and their friends always over for dinner we'd go through 2-3 deer a year with us running out a month or so before season, my son is no longer home with us but my daughter is and she eats like a bird so I'll try for two and see what happens this year..... My buddy always gets one for him and one for his neighbor who is a quadropalegic (sp?) anyways he was a avid deer hunter who was injured in a construction accident who can no longer hunt.... The first year he brought one over too him it was a sight too see, he was a kid at christmas all over again.... Very cool too see someone get one that really wants one and can't do it for themselves.....

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
1 deer is enough for our household. The kiddos eat up all the jerky I can make, and I eat the rest. The wife only eats it when I make up chili. I've donated excess deer in the past and will plan to do so again this season if I'm able to. Of the spots I'm hunting though, only one has the need for some doe reduction this season so we'll see how things go.

LonewolfNopack

The woods
I know I will get slammed for this but if you cant eat it then you shouldn't be shooting it. If you want to donate, donate money. Not our natural resources.

Go ahead sling away..... I can take it.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I know I will get slammed for this but if you cant eat it then you shouldn't be shooting it. If you want to donate, donate money. Not our natural resources.

You should know by now, this isn't that kind of site. You are entitled to your opinion even if it doesn't jive with everyone else. What you need to remember is that not all of the state is a desolate, deerless area like you hunt. In addition to that, deer and the meat they provide, are often more welcome than money. I see where you are coming from and I'm not saying you are completely wrong. But there are areas that can sustain the hunter and the hungry.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

I'm not going to slam anyone, but let me ask you a question... If I "donate" deer meat to members of my family who do not hunt, is that the same or different than donating it to charity? Is it really any different than donating money?

In either case, the meat is being consumed. And in either case, the free deer meat is meat that wasn't paid for, which equates to more money in the receiving party's bank account. So, should I give them the meat... organic meat that I processed... or should I give them money, to go buy the bullshit that's sold in stores? :smiley_chinrub:

Last edited:

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
If I "donate" deer meat to members of my family who do not hunt, is that the same or different than donating it to charity?

After reading the small amounts of deer that ya'll use, I'm too embarrassed to say what we put up every year, but it is LOTS! However, we do give a bunch if it to our many, many kids. The problem with donating it to charity is that a lot of people let it go to waste. I can't count the people that refuse to eat deer meat and haven't even tried it.
I had a friend that was whining about being broke and not having food in the freezer, etc. I offered her deer meat and she refused. I said go hungry then and whine to someone else.
The way I see it, I'm feeding my kids and their families, they are saving on their grocery bills and the meat is not going to waste.
And no, we don't tag out every year. We have 3 hunters in the immediate family and though I would love to tag out, 18 deer is too many, even for us.