Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Millennium Receiver Bracket Upgrade

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
As a lot of you know, the regular M102 chain bracket is heavy and noisy... not really ideal for those mobile pack-in/pack-out type of sets. Here's an easy little upgrade that I think will work out much better for the run and gun approach.

Millennium came out with a new receiver bracket for 2012, called the M102S. They basically replaced the chain with a ratchet strap. It's a step in the right direction, but IMO the ratchet is just too noisy and cumbersome and therefore leaves much room for improvement.

Here's what the M102S looks like...

On one side is a bolt that's tightened down, and on the other side is a "bolt" with a knurled thumbscrew head. On each end of the ratchet strap are loops, which the bolts run down through when attached. Anyone that owns some Lone Wolf climbing sticks or treestands knows that they're LW cinch straps are also looped on both ends... :)

IMO the cinch strap is the cat's ass for mobile setups, second only to maybe Muddy's cam-rope system. So, I simply replaced the ratchet strap that Millennium provided with a Lone Wolf cinch strap.

You'll notice that my receiver isn't green anymore... That's because I shot it with a couple coats of Flex Seal. You know, that rubber coating in a can... The stuff that the guy in the infomercial sprays a screen door with in the bottom of a boat. lmao This is my attempt to hopefully reduce any unwanted clanking or other noise. I also applied reflective tape to the removeable thumbscrew, since I'm anticipating myself dropping it at some point in time. lol

This is a really quick upgrade that I think will be extremely beneficial to me this season. Not only is the receiver quicker and quieter to hang, but it's also MUCH lighter. The normal chain receiver weighs right around 3 lbs., and this upgraded receiver weighs only 1.17 lbs.

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
I have no real issue with the older chain style, but I like your plasti dip idea. I have an extra can around after tinkering with the TBSS. Think I'll paint mine to reduce some of the noise too...

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I like the upgrade Jimbo!

I got my Cam lock receiver in the mail yesterday and had to try it out. I was actually surprised at how quiet the ratchet strap was compared to others I have used.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
ratchet straps arent really that loud if you pull the strap untill its really tight, then quietly one tooth at a time ratchet it down. Those cinch type things are good for steps and stuff, but thats alot of weight and movement for one, you nervous at all about using it?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
ratchet straps arent really that loud if you pull the strap untill its really tight, then quietly one tooth at a time ratchet it down. Those cinch type things are good for steps and stuff, but thats alot of weight and movement for one, you nervous at all about using it?

After thinking about it for a bit, no I'm not all that nervous about it. Lone Wolf uses the same straps for their treestands. And I'll be using a second strap at the bottom of the stand... but we'll see I guess.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
After thinking about it for a bit, no I'm not all that nervous about it. Lone Wolf uses the same straps for their treestands. And I'll be using a second strap at the bottom of the stand... but we'll see I guess.

Yes, but they also use two straps on the seat post instead of a second on the platform. Either way, they still only use one on their sticks and they support the weight.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yes, but they also use two straps on the seat post instead of a second on the platform. Either way, they still only use one on their sticks and they support the weight.

This is true. My only concern is that the sticks don't hold the weight the same way a stand does. With those sticks, your weight is really close to the tree... but standing on a platform puts your weight out away from the tree, and the leverage puts more weight on the strap. At least, that's what I'm assuming... I'm no engineer or physicist.

I don't know... I think it'll be ok.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Great Idea. I say hang that dude a foot off the ground and get out on the end of the platform.. Do a dougie and check the straps..

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
This is true. My only concern is that the sticks don't hold the weight the same way a stand does. With those sticks, your weight is really close to the tree... but standing on a platform puts your weight out away from the tree, and the leverage puts more weight on the strap. At least, that's what I'm assuming... I'm no engineer or physicist.

I don't know... I think it'll be ok.

Thats what my concern was, the seat is way diff from the sticks.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Great Idea. I say hang that dude a foot off the ground and get out on the end of the platform.. Do a dougie and check the straps..

Yep, just to be safe. Those style of buckles tend to want to slip. I wanna see the video of JB doing the Dougie. Probably looks akin to two monkeys trying to fugg a football. lmao

This is JB trying to split wood. lol

[video=youtube;n56jSYykS-Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n56jSYykS-Y[/video]

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Nice work JB. I may have to do this, but for the time being I will leave it as is. The only issue I have with the new strap is it requires a larger tree and I have hung in trees smaller than the new style strap will allow. That could end up pissing me off. But Greg had a solution as he often does, so we'll see if that will work when the time comes...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Bahahahahahaaaa Beener that video was hilarious! lmao What a moron...
If there is enough room to mount two straps into that block that would be the way I would go. But hey....I'm a fatass!! :smiley_crazy:

Unfortunately there is not enough room for two straps in the bracket, Chuck.

Maybe it wouldn't hurt to fire off an email to LW to find out what the load limits are for one of these straps...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sounds like one strap will be plenty strong enough...

Correspondence with Lone Wolf:

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 11:07 AM, Sales <sales@lonewolfhunts.com> wrote:
The load strength is 1800#, one strap would hold you. The assaults manufactured prior to 06 only used one versa button and we never had any issues. Obviously we would prefer you to use both straps when possible. Thank you and good luck this season.

Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2012 9:47 AM
To: Sales
Subject: Re: FW: New Feedback From Your Website

Thank you. I understand the hook alone would be unstable... What I want to know is, what is the load strength of the cambuckle strap itself? Say, if I forgot or lost my second strap, would the single strap be strong enough to hold the weight?

I understand you're not going to say that it's safe to use just one strap, because of liability reasons... I just want to know the technical specs of the strap.

Thanks.

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 9:46 AM, Sales <sales@lonewolfhunts.com> wrote:
Jim you should never use just the hook by itself, always have another strap on your top versa button. Using the hook alone will cause the stand to be unstable, thank you.

From: info@lonewolfhunts.com [mailto:info@lonewolfhunts.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2012 8:33 AM
To: sales@lonewolfhunts.com
Subject: New Feedback From Your Website

New Feedback!

Jim Brown

I was wondering what the load strength is for the Lone Wolf cambuckle straps, like the ones used on the LW climbing sticks. When using the EZ hook system, is it strong enough to be used alone, or is a second strap needed to support the weight of me and the stand? Thanks, Jim

Last edited: