Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Cheap & Healthy Lunch Meat

badger

*Supporting Member*
I get tired of paying $6 and up per pound for processed lunch meat.

So lately I have been buying turkey breast at around $2 - $2.50 a pound. Roasting them for roughly 80 minutes at 325.

I let them cool over night, then debone them, and slice them up the next day.

A slice of swiss cheese, a slice of tomato if you want, on whole grain wheat bread makes for a pretty good lunch along with some grapes.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Dale, that looks far better than any of the lunch meat you would buy already processed! That stuff sold with a plastic wrapper and no bone is not really meat!

badger

*Supporting Member*
Dale, that looks far better than any of the lunch meat you would buy already processed! That stuff sold with a plastic wrapper and no bone is not really meat!

This has to better for you than the processed stuff. I realize the turkey's are coming from a commercial farm and have been pumped full of steroids and such, but I'm going to look into raising a few myself in the future.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
You can't hardly find lunchmeat anymore without a 2" x 2" block of ingredients. It should just say "turkey"! And not only that, they want a fortune for the crap.

Another thing that pisses me off is "contains 20% of a solution to preserve tenderness". Oh, but we are going to sell you this fucker by the pound! screw you I can inject my own damn turkey keep your 2 dollars worth of saltwater.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I had a "Roast" in a freezer at home. It was top of the line, really expensive stuff. It even appeared "real". We used the same stuff at our shop for roast beef subs. Seriously, the best money could buy in cold cuts. The freezer I had it in died, and everything went nasty before I noticed. That formerly beautiful processed roast beef turned into an air-tight, balloon like bag full of brown liquid that looked about like coffee. I kid you not, everything I dug out of that freezer made me want to puke, but nothing scared me as much as the thought of busting that balloon of meat-water!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I had a "Roast" in a freezer at home. It was top of the line, really expensive stuff. It even appeared "real". We used the same stuff at our shop for roast beef subs. Seriously, the best money could buy in cold cuts. The freezer I had it in died, and everything went nasty before I noticed. That formerly beautiful processed roast beef turned into an air-tight, balloon like bag full of brown liquid that looked about like coffee. I kid you not, everything I dug out of that freezer made me want to puke, but nothing scared me as much as the thought of busting that balloon of meat-water!

I have two sealed 5 gallon buckets of whole catfish, guts and all that have been sitting for a year and a half. I dare ya to open that lid. lmao.

Buckmaster

Portage
I do the same thing Dale. The only problem with the turkey is it falls apart and won't remain as a full slice.
I haven't mastered the slicing procedure yet. I guess I try to slice too thinly.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
You STILL haven't gotten rid of that yet? Lol!!!!

No shit! Same thing I thought!!! We should sit it somewhere and shoot a tannerite next to it!!! :smiley_crocodile:

Get rid of it how? Opening that bucket will surely unleash the minions of hell upon the land. Ohio is too populated to carelessly discard it. For all I know the black death could be making a resurgence in that bucket. I either need a giant fire to incinerate them or get JD to dig a hole with a track hoe as deep as the arm will reach.

matty636

mville
you should just take the bucket to an empty parking lot place it like it was forgoten then sit back and wait for the person who opens in with hopes they found something worth while :smiley_crocodile: