Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

This was OUR buck of a lifetime on video

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
My bro Ron(full bore) brought up this buck in the thread Ben started titled, "Buck of a Lifetime" and he suggested sharing it with y'all. This is the buck we were both hunting together and had some great history with as well. The year before this video, I had him lock up on me after an aggressive rattling sequence on Nov 10th on this same ridge not 75 yards from where I video'd him here. That year he was a beautiful symmetrical 10 pt that would have grossed and netted close to 170. When he locked up on me at the distance of 42 yards, I had my bow in hand while recording the event. I got over 13 minutes of video as he stood there surveying the ridge top looking for the fight. I had put out a scent wick of Trails End 309 right in the scent stream and he just wasn't comfortable with it and eventually turned and walked straight away from me. It was still an awesome encounter that I'll never forget.

In this encounter he just popped up over this ridgetop at around 10 o'clock in the morning. As soon as I saw his rack I immediately grabbed my video camera and hit record as I already had my bow in my left hand. Instead of walking the ridge on out he cut straight into the wind and angled into a cross wind and eventually down into the hollar where Ron is about 100 yards away. He actually walks right by the tree I was in the year before at the end of this clip only to walk by Rons tree this same morning not 10 minutes later.

We looked all over the ridge and land surrounding this ridge within 3/4 to a mile away for his sheds of the year before but never found them. Finally one day in the winter after he was killed during gun season Ron was shed hunting around a slough with some cattails just over a mile from where we encountered him on this ridge top. He called me at work and gave me the news that he finally found one side of his 10 point side and it was perfect with no chews but just had some discoloring on it due to laying in the marsh. We looked all over for the other side but to no avail we never could find it. I'll have Ron send me a pic of the shed and I'll post it up here later after I get it.

As he is seen in this video he is carrying a perfect 6X6 typical frame with only a 16" inside spread or so. His tine length was exceptional from brows to his G5's. He had just over 25" of abmormal points. Ron measured him so he can prolly give you more accurate measurements but you get the picture.lol

If I get time I'll try to locate the other video but with it being so long I'll have to condense it.

This was truely a blessing for us to hunt such an amazing deer. I hope you enjoy the thread. Sorry for the background TV verbage as I forgot to turn it off while recording this off my PC.rotflmao

Last edited:

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Wow... that's a heck of a buck, and to have some history, and a few encounters with him is pretty dang cool. One of the many reasons that bow hunting is just so much fun.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Great buck Ric! Pretty good footage too for Super 8. That is what you guys filmed with in the 70's/early 80's wasn't it. lmao

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Rotflmao Phil! Back then it was a Sharp VHS Stanley lunchbox sized loud Mo Fo! Lol

This was just about 5 years ago on my 8 mm Sony handicam.

Thanks for all the kind words. Now if asshat Ron will send me a few shed pics preferably next to a Busch Lite can for reference I'll post the MO FO! Lol

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Here's a couple pics of the leftside shed Ron found and as requested he came through with a can! lol