Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Opening day?

deathfromabove07

Michigan
Hi, with limited time off work this year i might only be able to get a couple days off for opening of gun season. I'd be hunting public land in se ohio. What kind of pressure should i expect?

It depends on the area, but I don't hunt public grounds during the Deer Gun Season. I hunted the Killdeer Plains (Hardin & Wyandot counties) section one year and one year only. :smiley_armscrossed: The amount of hunters and lack of regard for shot safety was absolutely insane. I spent more time looking for orange vests than I did deer...all the while walking from one tree to the next, for cover. Nuts!

Bowhunter57

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I for one would never hunt Public Hunting area. Not during gun season anyway. It was really bad 25 yrs ago during early ML season. Never again in the last 25 yrs.
Frank

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Find a BIG area, get there early, and go deep into the middle of it. Slugs will hit the trees before they get to you. Deer will be pushed to you. And most other guys don't go far from the truck. Just be careful dragging your deer out, crazy SOB's might shoot at it.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Head to toe orange and put orange on your deer when you drag it out. Tw pressure will be intense and where I'm from, you can expect a bunch of crazy assholes from Akron/Cleveland. No offense to those of you from that part of the state, but your fellow townies don't represent the masses real well down here.

Schu72

Streetsboro
Heavy pressure on the opener and a significant drop off afterward. I have found that hunters walk much further than most give credit for. Have a few back up spots in mind. There is nothing worse than walking in over a mile and when you get to "your spot" someone flashes a light at you.:smiley_blackeye: That happened to me 2 years ago...was the worst opening moring of my life, hands down.

Last edited:

Buckmaster

Portage
That's why you boys need to be first in the parking lot. When I hunted public I'd get there about 4 something am. When the next truck pulled in I grabbed my gear and hit the darkness. I seldom got the flash light back at me when I got to my spot.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Then you get the slobs that will plant their asses down with in spitting distance of you and ignore your presance..... Had that happen too me at Salt Fork one year.... Like Scott stated was the worst opener as well.... Walked another half mile back in and had the place too myself but by that time it was already day light and no deer sightings were made..... Plenty of excercise was the words of the day.....

antiqucycle

East Ohio
Don't forget the IQ of some slob hunters, they wear camo during gun season to hide from you.

and one guy from another forum was murdered at Grand River last year.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
If you hunt public land during gun season. All I can say is make damn sure you have a living will and all your wants and needs are in order! Lol. Really on the serious side. These guys have some good points to go by. Hunter orange head to toe is the most important. Sad that some hunters don't identify their targets before they shoot. Good luck and becareful.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Wow, I've hunted public land most of my deer hunting career and never felt it was as dangerous as you all are making it out to be. Yes you get some dimwits and yes there are people who should have to take a test before they can pass on their genes but I've rarely had people screw with where I'm sitting opening day, but recently I haven't been trying to get back miles off a road, just to where to intercept the deer once they get moving.