Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

I finally did it!!!

mossyoakgirl

I bought my first bow a mwrtin tracer.. not brand new but u gotta start somewhere right?? Anytips or tricks are welcomed!!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Have it set up professionally and practice practice and practice some more ..... when you can consistently hit your mark you're ready...

mossyoakgirl,
You don't have a location in your information, for anyone to be able to offer a pro shop that might be in your area. Plus, there are a few bow tuning gurus on TOO that may be able to help you out. :smiley_blink:

After your draw length is set, most of your bow can be set up to sight in, by a few adjustments that only take a few minutes and can be done in the comfort of your home. I prefer doing my own tuning, that way if anything goes out of tune, I not only know what it is that's not working, but I can make it right too. It wouldn't be that difficult for you to learn how to set up your own bow...IF you're interested. Otherwise, I suggest having someone else do it. :smiley_bril:

Bowhunter57

badger

*Supporting Member*
mossyoakgirl,
You don't have a location in your information, for anyone to be able to offer a pro shop that might be in your area. Plus, there are a few bow tuning gurus on TOO that may be able to help you out. :smiley_blink:

After your draw length is set, most of your bow can be set up to sight in, by a few adjustments that only take a few minutes and can be done in the comfort of your home. I prefer doing my own tuning, that way if anything goes out of tune, I not only know what it is that's not working, but I can make it right too. It wouldn't be that difficult for you to learn how to set up your own bow...IF you're interested. Otherwise, I suggest having someone else do it. :smiley_bril:

Bowhunter57

Great advice, and good luck with your new bow. Be warned, it get's addicting! :smiley_coolpeace:

...also. I don't know how long or how much you've been shooting archery, but it would be a very good idea to have someone watch you shoot. You don't want to get into a bunch of bad shooting habits, that may be hard to break later. Another shooter can see mistakes that are easily corrected and will greatly improve your shooting, from the word go.

A person is never too old or have been shooting too long to learn. I've been into archery/bowhunting for over 37 years and 3 years ago I met up with a shooting pro, at a local pro shop and was shown 4 techniques that has greatly improved my shooting accuracy. Just more food for thought.

Bowhunter57

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
The only real asset you have to you is Clelands on Airport. They're not great, but they're better than Dicks, Bass Pro, or Cabelas... They all basically know what they're doing, but I get the feeling they all don't like to put their best effort forward in the bow dept. Hopefully you knew enough to buy a bow that fit you, and not just any random bow. As long as the draw length fits you, the rest is easy to take care of. If you get down to Clelands, they have an indoor range that's like 3 or 5 bucks an hour. I'm no pro, but I know enough to teach you proper form and habits. I'd suggest shooting a release with a D loop, and using a kisser button until you feel comfortable with an anchor point. The guys at Clelands will set that all up for you, go over to the range and check it for you and adjust it until it fits just right. You can shoot a peep or just look past your string. I can't stand shooting without a peep sight personally. Once you're set up, you can PM me and I'd be willing to go shoot an hour with you to teach you form basics. As far as getting a release, you can start cheap with something from wal mart or go to archerytalk.com and get a release. Or maybe someone here has one for sale. I HIGHLY recommend shooting a wrist strap release. Sounds like a lot, but it's just basics.

Congrats on stepping up your game ;)

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
What type of rest, and sight is on it? If any. Any idea what poundage it is? Definately get to a pro shop. Not only can they help get it set up for you, but they can also go over it and make sure it is mechanically sound. No need to get injured because there is something wrong that you didn't see.

The advice given already is good. The guys on this forum will be a great help as long as you take their advice. Only thing I can add is to be prepared to invest a little more money to upgrade sites, rest, stabilizer... You also need to keep in mind that arrows aren't cheap and if you git some with it, they might not work if your draw length is different from what they are cut for.
Don't mean to sound discouraging, I love to hear about getting new people interested in archery. Just wanted to give you a heads up. I hope you stick with it.
Keep in mind we have an occassional get together to shoot a 3d course. Its a good opportunity to get some helpful pointers.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Great input so far. Being anything BUT an expert, the best I can tell you is take your time. Practice as much as you can. Don't get discouraged. It is not always easy to get one dialed in the way you want. Then again, sometimes they fit like a glove and you are shooting lasers in no time. Each bow is different. Sort of like a pair of shoes. I bought a different one over the summer. SOOOO happy I had not sold my other bow yet. I have been struggling with it. Just doesn't seem to fit me great. For this reason, I would taking the advice already given and have a pro set it up. Also a great idea to shoot with someone else that can critique your form and such. I wish I had done so when I started.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Draw lenght is VERY important when it comes to beginning in archery. If you can, draw your bow and have someone take a picture of you at full draw and post it up. We can tell a couple things from that, including if you drawlength is TOO short or long, how your form looks, peep height, and a few others.

Welcome to the sport and best of luck to you. Learning to shoot a bow can be very frustrating, but also, very rewarding.