Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

HMMM... Dont know how much I like that

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I was out shooting with broadheads this evening when I noticed something. It looked like the ferule was cracked, but as I looked closer I became aware that it was actually the section of the ferule that is removed to replace the bleeder blades. It doesn't seem to have a huge effect on the flight, but its got me wondering if maybe my groups might tighten up if it wasn't hanging out there. I tried tightening the screw, but it was already tight.

Seems late to switch heads, but I am gonna have that little "hang nail" in the back of my mind every time I shoot now. I inspected the rest of the heads after noticing this. they all have that removable section but none of the others are sticking out like this.... yet.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
That's strange. Is it off center or what. Can you loosen it up and recenter it? I'd contact Magnus Monday morning and tell them you are sending pics.

I wonder why they deceided to us a two piece furel instead of a one piece furel with washers to hold the blades down like the tricks or g5 uses. This just seems like a weak design. Thanks for posting this up. Hope Magnus fixes it for you.

Last edited:

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
The larger blade actually holds that piece on. So as long as the blade is intact I'm not worried about it coming apart. I just wonder if the blade might be bent or something and isn't putting the same amount of pressure on the small piece. I have been shooting a lot. Not outside the realm of possibility that the blade might have gotten tweaked.
That would explain why the other three look ok. Those blades might be in better shape.
Still not ready to put new blades on though. Want to keep practicing before next week and don't want to dull the new blades.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I have this exact broad head from the buck that I found dead during muzzy season two years ago. You can have it if you want it. It's clean.

Attachments

• HPIM2041.JPG
    HPIM2041.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
well, after some extensive shooting today here is what i have concluded.
The head with the loose part of the ferule seems to fly ok out to about 30 yards after that it starts to plane a bit. The other buzzcuts do the same but not to the same degree.
Just for SH&*s and giggles I decided to break the muzzys out of mothballs and shoot those as well. they are flying like darts out to 60 yards. No offense to the magnus fans but they are getting switched out for the muzzys. I was already a little on the fence about them because of the tuning problems. If they arent paralell to the ground when they are nocked they dont want to fly straight. Add to that the problem with the 2 piece ferule that has come loose and hangs out the side I am switching back to muzzy for now. i still wonder about the lack of blood a couple years ago from the doe i shot with the muzzy and was intrigued by the serated edge on the magnus. but there just seems to be to many things that can go wrong with them.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Since the buzzcuts have a bit more blade surface than the muzzys, they are a little more susceptible to planing if the bow isn't 100% tuned. As for the arrow being parallel while nocked... That's all relative... Some bows tune at 90-degrees to the string, some tune nock-high, some tune nock-low. Every set up is a little different, depending on the bow AND the archer.

Have you had the buzzcuts spin-tested, Dante? They could be just a little bit off, which could result in not-so-perfect flight. Magnus stands behind they're product, so you could always send them back for testing.

That piece that is sticking out off the ferrule simply sandwiches the bleeder blade to the main part of the ferrule, and the main cutting blade slides down to lock it all in place.

On the back side of the little piece, there is a small circular piece of rubbery foam... which helps add friction and keeps things from rattling around. You may want to inspect this. The piece of foam could be coming out, or there could simply be some debris behind it. But either way, I don't think this little piece will hurt your accuracy by any noticeable degree. I believe the alignment of the main cutting blade is more critical... which, if you take the head apart, you'll see why. When you try to put it back together, the main cutting blade can move back and forth just a tiny bit before you tighten the screw. This allows one to make adjustments to the alignment if the head doesn't spin true. Or, if you don't pay attention to this when putting the head back together, chances are it will not be properly aligned and could result in poor flight.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Yeah, i found that piece of foam when I took the blade off the ferule and realized what it was for. It actually seems to be what is pushing the small piece away from the main body of it.

By "paralell to the ground" I mean the blade, not the arrow. I refletched several arrows so the blade would be flat when the arrow is nocked. it seemed that they would plane if this wasnt the case.

dont get me wrong, I like the heads, they are wider than the muzzys, and I do like the serrated edge, I feel it could simply do more damage than a straight edge. I am just a little concerned about flight problems, and i cant dispute that the muzzys were flying better today. I will do this before I give up on them completely. I have a pack of new blades. I will replace the blades and try again with new ones.
One question for you, have you noticed any difference in flight when using 4 inch vanes vs 2 inch vanes?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yeah, i found that piece of foam when I took the blade off the ferule and realized what it was for. It actually seems to be what is pushing the small piece away from the main body of it.

By "paralell to the ground" I mean the blade, not the arrow. I refletched several arrows so the blade would be flat when the arrow is nocked. it seemed that they would plane if this wasnt the case.

dont get me wrong, I like the heads, they are wider than the muzzys, and I do like the serrated edge, I feel it could simply do more damage than a straight edge. I am just a little concerned about flight problems, and i cant dispute that the muzzys were flying better today. I will do this before I give up on them completely. I have a pack of new blades. I will replace the blades and try again with new ones.
One question for you, have you noticed any difference in flight when using 4 inch vanes vs 2 inch vanes?

I have only shot the magnus heads with Blazers, so I can't really compare my results to using 4" vanes.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I shoot them out to sixty....no issues..d like to see this phenomenon for myself honestly cause something does not add up form me.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

This has me wondering if the centershot on your bow is not quite perfect. If the blades positioned vertically are planing worse than blades positioned horizontally, then I would guess you're getting some degree of lateral nock travel. Have you walkback tuned? Split a string with a fieldpoint-tipped arrow at 6 feet from the target... Then walk back to 40 yards and shoot a group. If the group's not centered on that string, your centershot is probably off.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I think I figured out the problem. It's me. I have been having some back problems the last couple weeks, I haven't been able to stand up completely straight. It wasn't feeling to bad today so I got out and shot for a little while. The magnus were flying good again. could my poor posture have been having an adverse effect on my shooting form?

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Yep. It can cause you to torque the bow. Once i get beener all squared i wil get my own done and get in a tree.