Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

In season target practice

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Been seeing a lot of threads about best groups, tuning, and other shooting topics and I got to wondering, How much practice do you do during season? I find myself wanting to be in a tree as much as possible during season and sometimes I fear that i might get a little rusty. I need to make more of a point to shoot more often during season this year in order to stay sharp.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I may shoot an arrow or two each day, but not much at all. If you've practiced a lot in the off season, you shouldn't get too rusty. I have shot less this year than I in a decade. I hope it doesn't come back to haunt me later.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I usually actually sling more arrows during the season than I do in the off season. I always try to shoot a few before I head out if possible just to make sure things are still "dialed in". I usually shoot at least once during the week and one weekend day in the Fall, 25 or so arrows per session.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I get in the habit to shoot 6 arrows before almost every evening hunt @ 20,30,40 just to make sure nothing got bumped. I also mark my sights with a pencil and my rest also, so I can verify if it has moved in the field. Doesn't do any good though, as I never carry allen wrenches with me!

badger

*Supporting Member*
I get in the habit to shoot 6 arrows before almost every evening hunt @ 20,30,40 just to make sure nothing got bumped. I also mark my sights with a pencil and my rest also, so I can verify if it has moved in the field. Doesn't do any good though, as I never carry allen wrenches with me!

I used to do something similar. I would shoot three at thirty and three at twenty with one at each yardage being a practice broadhead.

On a side note, make sure that practice broadhead is marked clearly, or doesn't enter the field with you.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I used to do something similar. I would shoot three at thirty and three at twenty with one at each yardage being a practice broadhead.

On a side note, make sure that practice broadhead is marked clearly, or doesn't enter the field with you.

Good point Dale! I just leave six field tip arrows in the building for that, but a practice broadhead wouldn't be a bad idea either...

RUT NUT

I shoot 3 arrows before every hunt. 2 at 20 and one at 30. Also during the season I do a lot more shooting in low light. I myself have never shot a deer in mid daylight. I always seem to shoot them when the sun is just coming up....or just going down. I will even run a couple sprints every now and then before I grab my bow and shoot an arrow. It's my way of trying to simulate "BUCK FEVER"! Haha! But we all know that nothing comes close to that feeling! You'd be surprised at how much of a difference it makes though!

loose_is_fast

McClure
i take a target with me and shoot three arrows before i go to the stand every time. i usually leave the target by my truck and pull the arrows when i put my hunting arrows away after the hunt

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I really don't shoot much during the season either... maybe once or twice a week, sometimes less. I think it actually helps me focus on deer when a shot presents itself. I know, that doesn't make sense... But here's why... When I know that I haven't been practicing much, I make it a point to REALLY think about what I'm doing when a shot opportunity arises. I focus on my breathing, my anchor point, my back tension, my follow-through, etc. Not only does this result in a better shot (usually), but it forces me to slow down and keeps me from getting too excited. I'm a firm believer that most poor shots occur as a result of the hunter getting anxious, and releasing the arrow before he or she is truly ready to do so. This is almost always followed by the hunter not remembering how the deer reacted, or which way it ran, or where the arrow hit. I guess in a sense, not practicing a lot sort of "keeps me honest." I want my shot routine to be somewhat automatic when a deer walks in, but not so automatic that I skip past the important little details.

Last edited:

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I shoot a few times a week during season.. . Only shoot a few arrows tho. I also carry a couple judo points and shoot at a couple leaves before I climb down after morning hunts.

I will admit during season I don't shoot as much as I should. By that time I end up moving my target into the basement so I can at least shoot a little during the week as it's usually dark by the time I get home. On the weekends I try to shoot a few before heading out as well, usually evening hunts there. When in Ohio I usually end up shooting a couple arrows before I head out in the mornings. Just turn on all the yard lights at my dad's and shoot a few at 20 or so. Evenings down there I will do the same unless of course I am hunting all day.

Gordo

Athens County
I always have my bow/arrows sitting by my back door and always have a target or two set up in the backyard. At least once a day, even if it's dark i step out the back door on my elevated porch and let a couple fly. It's so convenient I'd b dumb not too. This time of year i go a little over the top trying to get that muscle memory to b automatic. Lots and lots of shooting and I'll keep it going through season

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I really don't shoot much during the season either... maybe once or twice a week, sometimes less. I think it actually helps me focus on deer when a shot presents itself. I know, that doesn't make sense... But here's why... When I know that I haven't been practicing much, I make it a point to REALLY think about what I'm doing when a shot opportunity arises. I focus on my breathing, my anchor point, my back tension, my follow-through, etc. Not only does this result in a better shot (usually), but it forces me to slow down and keeps me from getting too excited. I'm a firm believer that most poor shots occur as a result of the hunter getting anxious, and releasing the arrow before he or she is truly ready to do so. This is almost always followed by the hunter not remembering how the deer reacted, or which way it ran, or where the arrow hit. I guess in a sense, not practicing a lot sort of "keeps me honest." I want my shot routine to be somewhat automatic when a deer walks in, but not so automatic that I skip past the important little details.

Makes perfect sense to me, and is similar to my line of thinking.