Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

KY..... snakebit

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
I cant seem to figure out these damn deer in KY. The mountains and terrian are hard as all get out to hunt and the deer population sucks. Theres no Ag so finding an acorn flat is crucial but accessing it without blowing every deer in the country away in next to impossible. The mountains are steep and its like walking thru a brick wall of undergrowth. I did manage to set a blind and cam in a small pasture where 3 points meet up. Got one decent buck and a bunch of does.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I don't know where you are hunting, but I used to hunt pretty close to Ashland every September. The deer and turkey population was unreal...saw tons of them. I took a couple years off from hunting down there, went back the last two seasons and could hardly find a deer in the areas I was used to seeing herds. I looked high and low, and finally just gave up. On one scouting trip I covered over 5 miles, and never saw a deer! Beats me, guess I've lost my touch. :)

Good luck to you, looks like you have a good evening set up now. Hopefully that buck will show up with some shooting light for you!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Kentucky is a funny animal. Some places are like a deer mecca. Other places it is about like trying to find hen's teeth. I have relatives in various parts of the state and some friends that hunt there as well. Best I can do is wish you luck. You don't strike me as a person that looks for the easy way out. I am sure your hard work will pay off for you.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Im hunting just north of ashland actually, sometime stay in ashland. Im hunting right across the border into ky and I hear ya.... the herd is WAY down.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
There would be 2-4 of us that would hunt weekends there. For several seasons, there was not a weekend that went by that at least one of us would shoot a deer. The thought of not seeing one was ridiculous. I didn't see one the last three trips. I'll go back in a hurry if I hear they re-bounded. It was so much fun to start hunting nearly a month before our season came in, but it was only fun because we saw so many critters. I suppose I'm as guilty as anyone for bloodying so many arrows, but at the time it seemed they'd never run out of deer...and they wanted them shot.