Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

SRH...so far, so good!

Well, I got all my reloading stuff in, put together some loads and went out to test them for best group. I had 4 different loads...2 moderate loads with Accurate #9 and 2 moderate loads with 2400. The loads with 2400 didn't group well, at all. However, the Accurate #9 loads were very nice. Now, all I have to do is get more of this particular load put together, go back out and sight it in at 50 yards.

Hard cast 240gr. semi-wad cutter, loaded with 21gr. of Accurate #9...3 shot groups at 25 yards. 1 = First Load. 2 = Second Load.

RugerTarget.jpg

Bowhunter57

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I would agree. Thinking open sights or red dot or similar is what I am going with next time I bring out the 44mag. I have some muzzle loader and bow redemption in store this season. Finally got the muzzie where I wanted it last year and ran out of opportunities to use it. Would like to know I am deadly with it and then maybe try the 44mag again in 2013/2014 season.

hickslawns said:
I have some muzzle loader and bow redemption in store this season. Finally got the muzzie where I wanted it last year and ran out of opportunities to use it. Would like to know I am deadly with it...
hickslawns,
I'd recommend doing some g-hog hunting with your M/L and you'll be surprised the confidence that it will build in a weapon. The beans are going to come off early and the g-hogs will be out wondering around, looking for a snack and presenting plenty of ballistics opportunities. :smiley_blink:

Bowhunter57

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
hickslawns,
I'd recommend doing some g-hog hunting with your M/L and you'll be surprised the confidence that it will build in a weapon. The beans are going to come off early and the g-hogs will be out wondering around, looking for a snack and presenting plenty of ballistics opportunities. :smiley_blink:

Bowhunter57

Great idea. The way my schedule is I will be lucky to make it out at the start of bow season to deer hunt though. Thanks for the suggestion. Plus, I LOVE my 17hmr much better for groundhogs. I have total confidence in the ML now, but need to draw better blood with it. I killed a doe with it last year and blew the leg off a coyote my buddy finished, but this was prior to having it "really dialed in". lol

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
You are going to enjoy your new 44 mag. The solid lead bullets are a good choice. I have taken 23 deer with lead bullets and none with jacketed bullets. As a matter of fact I have never shot a jacket bullet in my 44. The only jacketed bullet I shoot are in my CCW when carrying it for liabilty reasons. I do all practice with lead.
I have only lost one deer and that only because the deer crossed the property line and the landowner wouldn't permit me to follow it. I later learned later that the neighbor found and eat the deer so it was a no loss.
See you at the Lima show in October. If you want I can bring along my Ruger Bisley with red dot scope so you can see if you like it.
Frank

Last edited:
MK111 said:
See you at the Lima show in October. If you want I can bring along my Ruger Bisley with red dot scope so you can see if you like it.
MK111,
I'm looking foreward to seeing you at the gun show...and yes, bring your Bisley, I'd like to see it. As it stands, I plan to use open sights, but I'll know more when I start practising at longer distances. After I get some trigger time with my SRH, I'll have a better idea as to my "lethal" distance.

Bowhunter57

I'm ready for the Deer Gun Season. I reloaded some more ammo, sighted my Ruger in at 40 yards and did some off-hand practise out to 55 yards. I was hitting some clay birds (stationary) with good regularity from 20 to 55 yards. It was great practise for a confidence builder...although, I'd like to kill a couple of critters with it, before the season.

Bowhunter57

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Need some felines? Neighbors are overrun with them right now. I won't deliver, but I will tell you where you can round some up. lmao