Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Climbing Sticks?

Big H

Medina
Need some feedback, which ones are the best and why? I am considering Rapid Rails, Muddy, Millenium, or Lone Wolf.

Gordo

Athens County
I like my muddies.

That being said, they are only worth it if you plan on truly being mobile.

I prefer the 20ft climbing sticks with the dual steps on both sides. You can get them on the cheap. Really easy to slide in and set them up any day prior to hunting the spot.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Basically, from everything I have gathered is depends on how high you wanna go. LW you will get higher but the Muddy's have steps on both sides.

I may buy the leverages from Phil (Hickslawn). Just don't know when I would be up to get them. They are a bit less.

If LW's were $99 I would have bought them already.

Big H

Medina
That is what I normally do, but I just picked up a new spot and don't want to leave my sticks there.

Big H

Medina
Basically, from everything I have gathered is depends on how high you wanna go. LW you will get higher but the Muddy's have steps on both sides.

I may buy the leverages from Phil (Hickslawn). Just don't know when I would be up to get them. They are a bit less.

If LW's were $99 I would have bought them already.

How much are the Leverages? Hicks? Sell me on them..............

Last edited:

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Have you thought about a climbing stick and use a few climbing sticks to get into your stand so nobody will have access.

Big H

Medina
Have you thought about a climbing stick and use a few climbing sticks to get into your stand so nobody will have access.

Actually, yes, I was thinking about that today, when I was checking out the property. I have some older climbing sticks I may use and just leave. I am a little gun shy right now about leaving a stand, since I had a brand new Rivers Edge along with a new set of sticks stolen. Maybe just leave a Millenium bracket and the older set of sticks.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I try not to throw out the sales pitch unless requested. You requested it, so here it is.

Muddy- Never used them, but hear they have a great cam system to keep in place. Maybe Joe or someone with experience here can better explain.

LW- Very nice sticks. I own some myself. (Bought prior to becoming a Leverage dealer.) Down side I have with them is you can only flip the step one way. You either have a right side step or a left side step.

Leverage- Upsides- Same height, and weight as LW. $30-40 cheaper. You get opposing steps (6 steps fold out per section vs 3 on the LW). You have both right and left steps on each section. Downside- I find the snap to secure them to the tree a bit noisy. Were I to use a set, I think I would spray some rubberized undercoating or something on them to deaden the sound or possibly wrap them in some black athletic tape or something. (This is me talking personally.) From a liability standpoint, I would not recommend making any alterations to them whatsoever.

Here is what I am doing to make a quicker/quieter access a reduce chances of theft. I set up my hang on stands to carry in 2 of the portable climbing sticks. I hang the 2 I carry in and then have Rivers Edge Fast Sticks already hung to get me the rest of the way into the stand. The 2 portable sticks get me up to 8-10' and the 2 Fast Sticks move me on up to around 18-20'. The fast sticks come 3/box and run $45/set plus sales tax. What I am finding is 2 boxes of Fast Sticks will be good for 3 hang on stands when used in conjunction with the LW sticks or Leverage sticks. I really only use 2 of the fast sticks per stand, so 2 boxes get me 3 sets and I only have to carry in 2 and my bow.

If you wanted to go a bit higher, you could always hang all 3 of the Leverage Sticks and then use Fast Sticks the rest of the way.

I also have some of the 20' Stick Ladders which I use on some properties. Other properties I worry about theft or finding some other butthole sitting in my stand when I get there. For this reason, I limit the sets in which I use 20' stick ladders. When I use them I also try to use a portable climbing stick at the top to leave a gap from the stick ladder to the hang on. Reduces chances of theft or other douche bags using my stands. They could still steal the stick ladder though. Other downside to these is the limit to which trees they work on. Climbing sticks or Fast sticks are a little more friendly when it comes to tree selection.

I don't look at this as a "sales pitch" as much as I do a suggestion. Buy from me, buy from someone else. It doesn't matter Ron. Do what is right for you. For what it is worth, we do have Rivers Edge stands as well if you need to replace the hang on. I love the Rivers Edge hang on stands. Good bang for the buck. Not the cheapest, but quiet and comfy for a little more money.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I roll with Lone Wolfs due to them getting me higher in the tree with less sticks. I prefer the design of the Muddy and if/when they make a longer stick, I'll sell my LWs in a heartbeat and buy the Muddys.

I also have several sets where I hang 20' of sticks, then use one LW to get to my stand or Millennium bracket. That's my new preferred method for sets I'll plan to leave in place. I have several brands, but like my Millennium sticks the best.

Big H

Medina
Thanks for the replies guys. I was at Kames the other day and they had the Leverages and the Muddy's. I decided to try the Leverages, so we will see how they work out.

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
I can't comment on the muddys. I own the LW's and love them with the exception of packing. The packing strap they came with broke almost immediately. For me, they don't pack well at all. The ease of use and ability to get 25 feet with 5 sticks is fantastic though.