Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Corn and Apple Prices

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Trying to see if the pricing can be better anywhere else. I am getting corn for $9.50 for a 60# bag from a farmer.
Apples were running $100.00 for an 800# crate.
Just trying to see what others are paying and see if I need to shop more?

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
That is a good price for corn. Not the best but a bushel (approx 56#'s) is paying almost $8. So if it is coming bagged at that price I wouldn't complain. Apples run $0.25 a pound in general last I heard. So that seems to be a great price.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Update on the Apples: Michigan's Apples took a 90% reduction this year. This means there is a high market for juice apples. What I got last year for 75.00 to 100.00, is now going for 150-180.00 for 800#. I can't even buy a crate for 4 more weeks at my orchard. If you guys can get apples, you should GRAB THEM if possible!

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Call around to your local orchards and see who will sell them by the crate. Most crates are around 800#. Some Orchards won't do it. The Apples are good but their seconds (Just not pretty enough to put in the bags for grocery stores ect ect) Most call them juice or deer apples. They are expensive this year IF you can find them! One of my orchards has a forklift that dumps the crates in your truck or trailer....Some will just load the whole crate if you bring it back. Good Luck finding some!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You guys are nuts to spend money on apples.... just my opinion of course. There are so many apple trees producing this year it's ridiculous. Go knock on some doors... People will usually let you clean them up out of their yards for free.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
You guys are nuts to spend money on apples.... just my opinion of course. There are so many apple trees producing this year it's ridiculous. Go knock on some doors... People will usually let you clean them up out of their yards for free.

I usually grab them out if the parks around the house, but no apples this year. :tantrum:

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I'm paying $180 for an 18 bu bin of cider apples, which is around 750#. If they are cider apple quality $100 is a real good price, if they aren't cider quality $100 is too high.

If you find a farmer shelling corn he might be willing to dump some in your truck for some cash.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio

Picking up apples is definately much cheaper. But here in Licking County, you'd better know someone to get apples. They are in high demand by the hunters. Plus, a lot of the trees did not produce well this year. With me working 12-17 hrs most days, I like having a crate or two dumped in my trailer and go home.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Anyone know if you can store up apples in a way to keep them from going bad? Do you need a fruit cellar or something to keep temps low? Any possibility of freezing them? Just curious as I need to keep some but cannot keep them sliced up already or canned in apple sauce or apple butter.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
My Mom always froze them but she put that fresh fruit stuff on them to keep from turning brown.
Gramma stored whole apples in a cool basement.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My Mom always froze them but she put that fresh fruit stuff on them to keep from turning brown.
Gramma stored whole apples in a cool basement.

Thanks Rick. I have an old fruit cellar. Might need to clear the cob webs and put it to use. I think Drake saw it one year when he was helping us out. He came back to the shop and there were tornado warnings. We ducked in there until they passed. lol

buckstar25

T-county
10.60 for a 50lb bag of corn.

All my apples, like JBrown are free. I drive around and ask if I can clean up their yards and have a couple friends who text me when they get a bucket full. And with the way the deer eat them I would go broke if I had to buy them!!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Our local feed mill is getting $14.75 for a 75# bag right now. It's ridiculous. I'm done feeding corn until I get my hands on some ear corn, which may happen this weekend. As for apples, the guy I usually buy from didn't have much this year, so I'm out on that front TOO.