Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Hunting Bag / Pack

Huckleberry Finn

What do you use to keep all your junk collected and carried in?

I use a camo shoulder/messanger bag...looking to change it up.

Beener - who do you trust for military surplus stuff online?

huntn2

Hudson, OH
I have a nice badlands backpack. I am not sure how I am going to change up on some hunts now that I have the millennium and gameplan gear setup.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I use the GamePlan Gear quiver pack. Going to get the TTS pack later to try.

I will get some links up for military stuff. Sportsmansguide carries the Voodoo Tactical stuff and has it on clearance sometimes. Let me get on the comp and find the links.

mightymet

I have a thing for back packs. I bought a tech hunter pack from gander mountain. It's a two piece. The upper portion has a bladder for water and is removable. The lower section has one main pocket and a few small side and front pockets. The reason I like tis pack is it has a partial frame on the lower main pack and a very comfy waist belt. It's also weather proof. It works for me. It's big enough for all day but not huge and bulky. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347714092.833483.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1347714135.320397.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1347714163.297995.jpg
It has a ton of adjustment built in to it. You can adjust the space between the two packs so the belt sits just right. The lower half can be used with out the top as a waist pack. The top can be used as just a camel back. I really like this pack. Very versatile.
http://m.gandermountain.com/aHR0cDo...0MTQyNDImc3RyPVRlY2h1bnRlciZtZXJjaElEPTQwMDU=

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
GamePlan Gear TTS for hauling my stands. GamePlan Gear Bow Bat XL for morning and all day hunts. And the GamePlan Gear Spot N Stalk for evening hunts and other excursions. Love them all.

mightymet

GamePlan Gear TTS for hauling my stands. GamePlan Gear Bow Bat XL for morning and all day hunts. And the GamePlan Gear Spot N Stalk for evening hunts and other excursions. Love them all.

I like this gear just not in my budget for now.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I like this gear just not in my budget for now.

Me either now! I had a simple, but probably ill advised financial "goal" prior to having kids and that was buy all the toys I could, while I could! With a little one coming in December, those days are over. But at least I'm well equipped. More than I can say for my savings account! :(

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Pockets. Lots and lots of pockets. My Rocky pants have 10 pockets. A cargo, zipper behind the cargo, and a small pocket on the front of the cargo. Then two hand pockets and back pockets. My jacket has two hand pockets, chest pocket, and inside the jacket has a big mesh pockets. If you put the same items in the same pocket every time you won't have to hunt for things. Way easier than a backpack of any size and works awesome when packing in a stand. It almost like being a free man when all your have to carry is your bow and not worry with a pack.

Huckleberry Finn

I do like the Primos Bow Hunting vest that I bought, but I don't wear it beyond the first bit of the season.

The game plan gear and bow bat are sweet stuff, but why are hunting packs so friggin expensive? That's why I was thinking of the military surplus route...

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I also love my Primos bow hunting vest. I usa mine all season long. I also carry in a glorified fanny pack for my water or coffee and my binds. I also have all my paperwork and gutting utensils in there.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Huck here are some I have ordered from and will again. Just gotta find the sales/clearance. True mil-spec is just as expensive as mid grade hunting stuff but as good quality as the best hunting...if that makes sense. Probably won't save any money unless you find it on clearance or true "surplus".

http://www.uscav.com/ (be sure to shop this by price. Some of them are uber expensive but the Maxpedition, Condor, Voodoo, etc are good prices)

http://www.optactical.com/

http://www.armysurplusworld.com/display.asp?subdepartmentID=157

These are three I have ordered from and all had excellent service.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I used to like the backpacks, but slowly I've started to hate them. With a backpack, I somehow find a way to always pack in WAY more shit than I really need. Like Joe, I'm getting away from packs in general this season... as part of my attempt to hunt more mobile than usual.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It is a blessing and a curse when you sell some packs. I have a Bow-pack from Big Dog which is a backpack. Holds my bow or you can carry a rifle with it. I used it 2 seasons ago and really tested it's weight capacity and load capacity.

Last year I used a Gameplan Gear Bow Bat XL nearly exclusively. Jesse talked his up so much, I looked at them at the Expo and came home with one. Holds a ton, but weighs a ton when loaded. I was able to carry bow/quiver, food, water, video camera, extra clothes, and the kitchen sink. If I am doing all day sits, this is what I will carry this season.

I also sell a couple different fanny packs and have used them. I find myself carrying them for coyote hunting more than deer hunting, but if I am just going in for an evening sit they are very handy.

Not to pitch anything, but it is that time of the year. lol I am thinking our fanny packs are all $15-20 and backpacks in the $25-30 range. I really need to make the next get together and just bring the whole flippin' enclosed trailer stocked up for you guys to check out. It will be like the Snap-On man when he pulls up to a 20 bay garage. Everyone is excited to see him, then pissed when they realize how much they spent in his van. lmao