Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

How old were you when you started deer hunting?

BGarrett

Belpre
I was 27. This will by my 3rd year trying to bag my first deer. I got an apprentice license my first year to hunt with a buddy at his house. As a 28 year old, I was the oldest person in my hunter education course :smiley_crocodile:.

Huckleberry Finn

Better late than never!

I would have been 13 or so when I started hunting. Didn't shoot my first deer until 18 or 19.

Stonegod

Hunting about 8yrs old.....deer hunting 50yrs old.LOL Didn't start deer hunting until I closed down the snowplowing part of my landscaping/hardscaping business.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Shot at my first deer on my first ever deer hunt when I was 8. Didn't kill my first deer until I was 18 and started bowhunting. It's been downhill ever since!!!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I was seven. Dad took my brother and me to hunter ed that year. I think it was the first year Ohio required the class, but I maybe mistaken about that. I can still remember seeing the guns with blown up barrels, and one single shot that the hammer had blown out and supposedly killed the unlucky shooter. Funny, I don't remember much about my first grade classes, but hunter ed is still fresh in my mind!

jeremy44230

Medina County
I was about 18 the first time I ever deer hunted. I had no family members that hunted. Man I wish I would have been out younger, but I'm in it now! Killed my first deer at 19 or 20...

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Went once with a friend when I was 16 just to watch, didn't carry any weapons. Decided to get into it when I was 20. Got my first at 24.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Ron and I stated bowhunting with the Bear Whitetail bows our parents bought us around our 16th birthday. We've been obsessed with it ever since. Lol We turn 51 on Dec. 24th.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Dang, I can't imagine getting started at a more "advanced" age. If my dad hadn't started me off young, I doubt I would have ever gotten into it. There is so much to learn, so much to buy, ...just so much to it that I can't imagine I'd have jumped in. I have a lot of respect for you guys that have taken it upon yourselves to learn all this!

epe

Lancaster
Think I was 11. Took my first by myself with a compound at 13. Dad already got one so he dropped me off that morning...

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
I started deer hunting last season with no luck. I was 35. Better late than never I guess.

I got you beat! I started at 47 years old, which was 5 years ago. This will be my 6th season and I can't wait!