Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Daughters first squirrel!

deerslayer1985

I took My daughter out today for the first time this year. She went last year a couple times, and we killed some, but not by herself. Today I told her I was going to let her pick out the spot, and decide what we would do. She said, "okay." So I parked the four-wheeler, and asked her, "which way do you want to go." So we started walking to the left of the four-wheeler trail. We walked probably 100 yards, and I heard one cutting. I stopped, and said "I can hear one Haylee." She said, "I see it." I still couldn't see it, but I took her word for where she said it was. She told me to follow her. lol So I did. We got up pretty close to it, and it was basically dropping chunks of nuts on our heads. It was still way too high up, and we couldn't really make it out. So I said, "what do you want to do"? She replied, " sit here and wait on it!" lol So we sat down. I was just kinda looking around since we had sat there probably 20-30 minutes with it not moving. She must have been staring it down though, because all at once she whispered, "Dad its going down that branch." I handed her the .410, and told her to get ready. She pulled up, and it was roughly 40 yards away. It ran down, and stopped on the side of a tree. I said, "shoot it if your ready." BOOM, she didn't hesitate! lol She yelled, "I got it." I was kinda hesitant to agree at first, because it was pretty far and I couldn't really tell if she had killed it. We walked over, and sure enough she got it. Sorry this is such a long read, but I am one proud Dad! lol

Attachments

• 100_0985.JPG
    100_0985.JPG
    154.4 KB · Views: 146
  • 100_0986.JPG
    100_0986.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 180

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Great read! There is absolutely nothing better than reading about a kid's "first" anything in the outdoors...except maybe seeing it first hand. Congratulations!

deerslayer1985

Thanks guys. Yea proud isn't even the word for what she was! Or me! lol I forgot to mention after we got to it she said, "welp in a couple weeks I'm gonna kill a deer." I think she did pretty good for a 6 almost 7 year old. She has been practicing like crazy shouldering her gun, and finding objects in her scope really quick. Hopefully her practice will pay off on a deer in a couple weeks. I've got her a crossbow with a scope on it. She shoots it really good. So I don't think she'll have any problem.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Just an outstanding memory!!!
I remember taking my daughter out when she was about that size too.
The pictures made me smile.