Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

seems a little early

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
So the other day I was out to check a cam. I turned a corner on a beanfield and was surprised to find a scrape opened up.
bout the size of a car tire.

The check of the cam revealed a series of pics that showed a couple bucks butting heads.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county

the pic is blurry and they are quite a ways back from the cam, but there are a series of 6 consecutive pics that show them squaring off, and butting heads

the next day redcloud and I were out for a few minutes and found a rub on a sapling.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
this one is a little clearer.

They are young bucks, but it still seems a little early. This cam is about 200 yards from where i found the scrape. I wonder if one of these guys is the one that opened it up.
Time will tell. After checking the card in this cam, I moved it to the scrape.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
This cool weather has them feeling their oats that's for sure! I had pics of some smaller bucks sparing this week as well. I also had a pic of my mock scrape being worked. Won't be long now!!!

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I watched three young bucks sparring around in velvet a few weeks ago. It's getting to be that time again fellas, it won't be long now!

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
i also got a couple small bucks sparing tuesday i found a couple trees about 8 inchs in diameter completly destrotyed also cool weather definetly gettin them movin.

epe

Lancaster
Dad just sent me this pic from my sisters...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1347560706531.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1347560706531.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 71

mrex

*Supporting member*
Deer will freshen scrapes throughout the year...field edge scrapes especially. I snapped off this pic with my phone during the past spring turkey season. Not so much because it was hit in May but more so the location which was the top of a mostly wooded ridge.

No doubt the intensity picks up in the fall however some scrapes are used as a form of visual and olfactory communication year round.