Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Breasting Out Birds

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
This is neither a project, nor a craft, but just a simple How-To. I know that for most of us here at TOO, this is pretty common knowledge... But for a new bird hunter, it could be useful. I know when I first started bird hunting, I was pretty clueless about how to clean a bird.

In this example I'll be cleaning doves, but this method works for all types of fowl... Turkeys, ducks, geese, pheasants, you name it. Plucking birds will also result in some fine table fare, but when you have a bunch to clean sometimes breasting them out is the most feasible option... especially for larger birds like geese or turkeys.

First things first... You need a bowl, a knife, and a bird.

For doves, I like to start by quickly plucking the feathers off of the breast of the bird. Doves pluck really easily, so this does not add much time to the process. It's not totally necessary, but I find that doing this helps me keep feathers off the meat. When it comes to geese and other large fowl, you can simply jump to the next step.

Once the skin is exposed, cut a slit along the breast bone to expose the meat. With doves, the skin is very thin so you can actually just pull it apart with your fingers. But for illustration purposes, I've used the knife...

Once you've exposed the meat, use your fingers to peel back the skin, like you're "taking a shirt off" off the bird.

Next, cut down along side of the breast bone and then out towards the wing. From doves, you'll be left with a nugget-sized piece of delicious meat. Larger birds will yield small roast-size portions.

Repeat for the other side, and then discard the bird. Wahhlahh!... You're finished. Enjoy.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Thanks Jim, a lot of us can use this.... Was never a bird hunter so too speak but I may be taking up the dove shooting here in the future.....

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
We got some the other night at my buddy's new house. Pretty awesome, he has an apple orchard and Pears and they fly all over the place trying to roost that last hour. We just breasted out and wrappen in bacon, dipped in soy sauce and thrown on the grill with some stuffed Pablamo (sp) and jalapeno peppers

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I don't think they taste like chicken as they have a deeper, richer taste to them. But they are delicious. I either wrap them in bacon and grill them, or I will pan fry them in butter and garlic, then serve on buttered noodles...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Awesome how to. Here is a way to do it if you don't mind the breast bone. He uses scissors but I just twist the wings off.

[video=youtube;meUyP_yunv4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meUyP_yunv4[/video]

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That's a great video there too, Joe. I've always thought about trying that method but I've never done it. Looks pretty easy!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Very easy. And if you don't want the breast bone you can peel it off after they're cooked.

I don't pluck any. Twist off each wing, push back the skin with my thumb. Put my thumb under the bottom if the breast and pull. Throw it in a pot of water.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Good post for the record guys.
We could have a chapter for cleaning game of all types.
There is always more than 1 way to "skin a cat"

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
I do the breast pull, wing cut version. It takes my buddy from Kansas less than 25 seconds to breast out a bird lol. I always cut the meat off in the sink afterwards.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I had another mess of doves to clean tonight and gave the breast pull method a try, as shown in the video that Joe posted. Honestly, I don't think I'll do it any other way now. That was slicker than snot!