Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Plot growth stages

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
I hung a scouting camera over a different plot we planted because I thought it would be cool to see how slow/fast it came up, depending on the weather. This plot is in southeastern Ohio and had a mix or turnips, radishes, a few different red and white clovers, and cereal rye. We had to plant it August 11th, which is a week or two earlier than we wanted to, because of a hundred other things we have going on with our schedules. The plot was fortunate to be rained on at least once a week, sometimes more, so it came up well even though we still had a few days in the high 80s low 90s.
Here's a pic of the plot with my show fawn a day after planting. I thought it looked like it was posing like a dog show dog.

Attachments

• PICT0013-1.jpg
    PICT0013-1.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 146

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
5 days after planting: You can't see any growth on the daytime photos, but the rye really shows up on the IR image!

Attachments

• PICT0071.jpg
    PICT0071.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 132

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
It really started to thicken up after over two weeks. I hope those turkeys wander by once the fall season opens.

Attachments

• PICT0262.jpg
    PICT0262.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Very nice Boone! You got a nice pop of growth on yours as well. Once a week rains help a lot. Multiple rains the first week or two and milder temps go further. I missed out on both with our last one. Hot, and missed rain the first 10 days or so. Glad you and JB had better timing than I did!

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
This photo is from almost four weeks. The turnips and radishes are taking off, where they haven't been eaten. I still haven't seen a decent buck on camera yet this year, but maybe the ladies will bring one around later in the year.:pickle:

Attachments

• PICT0487.jpg
    PICT0487.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 136

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
Very nice Boone! You got a nice pop of growth on yours as well. Once a week rains help a lot. Multiple rains the first week or two and milder temps go further. I missed out on both with our last one. Hot, and missed rain the first 10 days or so. Glad you and JB had better timing than I did!

Thanks guys. I would hate to depend on the weather like farmers. The plot I posted in my other thread missed the rain until two weeks ago. It's coming along now, but way behind this one.

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
Took some picks of the plot on Friday. You can see from the close-ups they are getting hammered.

Attachments

• DSC00218.jpg
    DSC00218.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 161
  • DSC00214.jpg
    DSC00214.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 167
  • DSC00208.jpg
    DSC00208.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 130

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
This plot doesn't have any turnips or radishes and looks like it has been mowed, but the deer are so thick there that they are keeping it short. Can't wait to get in a stand near it!

Attachments

• DSC00236.jpg
    DSC00236.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 143