Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

New Mexico Muley

badger

*Supporting Member*
A good friend of mine started a mule deer hunt three days ago. This is a self hunt on public land. I don't know many details other than he took this one today at 180 yards. When he phoned me they were headed to drop him at a butchers. They drove from Ohio and it was Adams first muley hunt. Maybe not the biggest around but he was stoked about the buck!

Last edited:

badger

*Supporting Member*
Talked to him last night and he gave me a little more info. The area they are hunting is real dry and they had a local tip them about a few water holes that are up high. Adam said there's some water low, but a lot of road hunters to deal with. They spent their first day finding the water and glassing. They ended up way higher than expected and ran out of gas in one vehicle. Left that one over night and came back the next day with fuel and set up for a hunt. Adam and Ryan stayed high while the rest went lower to hunt. The lower group seen nothing but other hunters while Adam and Ryan both seen some deer. Even though it was just does, they were confident enough to go back up the third day. Ryan moved off to a different spot and Adam hunted the water from the day before. Still having bad phone reception, but it sounded to me like Adam had three different bucks at the water including the one he shot. He was going to finish his hunt calling yotes and Ryan was going to take Adam's spot at the water hole. Haven't heard from them today so far.

I'll update when I hear something.

badger

*Supporting Member*
A quick update. Two more bucks down. Ryan took a real nice 6x6? I'm guessing as I can't tell in the pic and couldn't get much out of the phone conversation. There's also a youngster in the group that took a 2x3 today. I don't have a pic of his yet but will post it when I get it. He,s 12 and took his first muley last year. Well here's Ryans buck. Give me a minute while I find it.

badger

*Supporting Member*
Pic is a lot clearer on here than my phone. Heck of a deer!

They have been rubbing elbows with a celebrity. Jackie Bushman is rooming two rooms away in the same motel He's on an elk hunt there is what I gathered but could be wrong. I guess he came to their room and Adam has pics of the two of them with Adam's buck.

I'll try to get these guys to join TOO. I know Adam doesn't mess with comps much, but Ryan might.

Still waiting on the young guys pics.